High Performance for High Expectation
Canon's update to the wildly popular full frame EOS 5D is here, and it's better than ever. The EOS 5D Mark II has a stunning 21.1-megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor with DIGIC 4 Image Processor, a vast ISO Range of 100-6400 (expandable to ISO L: 50, H1: 12800 and H2: 25600), plus EOS technologies like Auto Lighting Optimizer and Peripheral Illumination Correction. It supports Live View shooting, Live View HD videos, and more. It can shoot up to 3.9 fps, has 9 AF points plus 6 AF assist points, a new 98% coverage viewfinder, a 3.0-inch Clear View LCD (920,000 dots/VGA) and a rugged build. Full-frame shooters rejoice!
***Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM zoom lens included***
EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM zoom lens Included21.1 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS sensor, 14-bit A/D conversion (16,384 colors/each of 3 primary color), wide range ISO setting of 100-6400 (expandable L: 50, H1: 12800 and H2: 25600).
The EOS 5D Mark II features a huge, full-frame sensor. A 21.1-megapixel CMOS sensor delivers images of up to 5616 x 3744 pixels. And since it is full-frame, all lenses will deliver the angle of view they would on a 35mm camera without a conversion factor. This comes in handy especially when shooting with wide-angle lenses. For the flexibility to shoot in even the most dimly lit situations, the EOS 5D Mark II offers Canon's highest ISO sensitivity to date, ranging from 100-6400 (expandable to ISO L: 50, H1: 12800 and H2: 25600). Thanks to improved noise reduction technologies, images shot even at highest sensitivity will be remarkably smooth.
Full HD Video capture at 1920 x 1080 resolution for up to 4GB per clip with HDMI output for HD viewing of stills and video.
The EOS 5D Mark II is the first digital EOS to offer recording of Full HD video in Live View Mode. Capable of shooting clips almost half an hour long at full 1080 resolution, the EOS 5D Mark II does amazing double duty, making it possible to shoot broadcast quality video on your camera by simply changing settings. The advantages move way beyond the ability to shoot on your SLR - the wealth of high-speed lenses and shooting accessories that make EOS photography so remarkable can be used in shooting video. Where interchangeable lens video cameras cost thousands of dollars, with the EOS 5D Mark II their operation, including HDMI output, is simply an added bonus to a remarkable camera.
Next generation DIGIC 4 Image Processor for faster processing of fine detail and color reproduction as well as reduced image noise.
The EOS 5D Mark II's sensor is backed up by Canon's DIGIC 4 Image Processor, which speeds up all operations making a number of new features possible. Processor intensive operations like Face Detection Live mode, HD video recording and lighting and lens peripheral optimization are all possible thanks to the DIGIC 4 Image Processor. The EOS 5D Mark II also offers full 14-bit A/D conversion. The analog output from the image sensor is converted into a digital signal via 14-bit conversion instead of the previously used 12-bit conversion, resulting in significantly finer tonal gradation for better prints.
High performance with 3.9 fps continuous shooting, new shutter with a durability of 150,000 cycles and improved weather-resistant body.
The EOS 5D Mark II has a sophisticated AF system consisting of 9 user-selectable AF points, along with a total of 6 additional vertical and horizontal AF assist points. The central AF point is cross-type, and is sensitive to vertical lines at an aperture of f/2.8, horizontal lines at f/5.6. The AF system is also sensitive to its light source, and can compensate for focus errors that can occur when multiple sources illuminate a scene. AF points can be chosen by the photographer using the 5D's multi-controller or preferred control dial. Plus, the EOS 5D features a dedicated AF ON button. The EOS 5D Mark II has a rugged new shutter designed to withstand 150,000 exposures. Combined with its impressive build quality, this new shutter ensures that the EOS 5D Mark II will thrive in challenging shooting environments.
Live View Function for stills (Quick, Live and Face Detection AF modes) and video.
With Live View Function on the EOS 5D Mark II, you can zoom in and navigate the composition 5x or 10x normal size. There's even a grid overlay. Live View focusing modes include Quick mode, Live mode and Face Detection Live mode. The EOS 5D Mark II's Live View Function also makes videos in Full High-Definition. Shooting is at a frame rate of 30 fps. Sound is recorded either through the camera's built-in microphone or through an external microphone connected to the camera's microphone input terminal. Playback modes are available in the camera, and all Live View AF features can be used in shooting video.
3.0-inch Clear View LCD (920,000 dots/VGA) monitor with anti-reflective and scratch-resistant coatings for improved viewing and smudge protection.
The EOS 5D Mark II has an all-new 3.0-inch Clear View LCD that features high-resolution 920,000 dots/VGA for far more detail than any previous EOS Digital LCD. A number of new features enhance usability: a new anti-reflection and water-repellant coating provides a clearer and more smudge-resistant surface and a light sensor mounted below the screen enables automatic brightness adjustment in accordance with ambient light.
Updated EOS Integrated Cleaning System specifically designed to work with a full-frame sensor.
Canon's Integrated Cleaning system includes a cleaning unit designed specifically for the EOS 5D Mark II's full-frame CMOS sensor. The camera's low-pass filter even has a new fluorine coating upon its surface to help repel dust. Dust that makes it past the EOS 5D Mark II's sensor cleaning system is easily removed in post processing using DPP software's Dust Detection Delete function, which can remove dust spots automatically from single or multiple image files.
Self Cleaning Sensor Unit
A key element of minimizing dust is preventing it from clinging to the front surface of the imaging sensor. To combat against this, the EOS 5D Mark II features a Canon-designed Self Cleaning Sensor Unit. The low-pass filter at the front of the sensor shakes off dust automatically with ultrasonic vibrations. The EOS 5D Mark II also has a coating on the front surface of the low-pass filter to increase its resistance to dust sticking to the sensor.
Dust Delete Data Detection
Dust that may still remain on the front of the sensor can also be erased with software included in Digital Photo Professional (DPP) Version 3.3 or later software. A simple test shot of a plain, white object can be taken, using a menu setting. This Dust Delete Data image is analyzed in-camera, and the location and size of any remaining dust is subtracted from any subsequent pictures taken. This data is transmitted along with the image, whether JPEG or RAW, and can be either manually or automatically erased in Canon's DPP software. This added software option ensures the cleanest possible image, perfect for printing or archiving.
Compatible with over 60 Canon EF/EF-S lenses and most EOS System accessories.
The EOS 5D Mark II is compatible with all Canon lenses in the EF lineup, ranging from ultra-wide angle to super telephoto lenses. Canon lenses employ advanced optical expertise and micron-precision engineering to deliver unprecedented performance in all facets of the photographic process. Special optical technologies, such as Aspherical, ultra-low dispersion, or fluorite elements are featured in the universally acclaimed L-series lenses. And Canon's Optical Image Stabilizer technology is featured in select lenses to minimize the effect of camera shake. Through Canon lenses, photographers can truly maximize the quality and liberating performance of the EOS 5D Mark II.
The EOS 5D Mark II features the acclaimed E-TTL II flash metering system. With any of the flashes in the EX Speedlite line, E-TTL II provides reliable flash output whether shooting fill-in flash pictures in sunlight, or using flash in total darkness. With E-TTL II, the exact same 35-zone metering sensor used for measuring ambient light is also used for flash metering - giving even finer metering command of the image area. If you prefer a broader area for flash metering, there's a menu setting to change to "Average" flash metering - where the entire 35-zone area is measured evenly for flash exposure.
- Type: Digital, single-lens reflex, AF/AE camera with built-in flash
- Recording Media: CF Card Type I and II, UDMA-compliant CF cards, via external media (USB v.2.0 hard drive, via optional Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E4A)
- Image Sensor Size: 36.0mm x 24.0mm (35mm Fll-frame)
- Compatible Lenses: Canon EF lenses (35mm-equivalent focal length is approx. 1.6x the lens focal length)
- Lens Mount: Canon EF mount
- Type: High-sensitivity, high-resolution, large single-plate CMOS sensor
- Effective pixels: Approx. 21.1 megapixels
- Total Pixels: Total pixels: Approx. 22.0 megapixels
- Aspect Ratio: 3:2 (Horizontal: Vertical)
- Color Filter System: RGB primary color filters
- Low-pass Filter: Fixed position in front of the CMOS sensor
- Dust Deletion feature
- Automatic sensor cleaning
- Manual cleaning of sensor
- Dust Delete Data appended to the captured image
- Recording Format: Design rule for Camera File System 2.0
- Image Type:
- Still: JPEG, RAW (14-bit, Canon original), sRAW1, sRAW2, RAW+JPEG
- Video: MOV
- File Size:
- Large/Fine: Approx. 6.1MB (5616 x 3744 pixels)
- Large/Nomal: Approx. 3.0MB (5616 x 3744 pixels)
- Medium/Fine: Approx. 3.6MB (4080 x 2720 pixels)
- Medium/Normal: Approx. 1.9MB (4080 x 2720 pixels)
- Small/Fine: Approx. 2.1MB (2784 x 1856 pixels)
- Small/Normal: Approx. 1.0MB (2784 x 1856 pixels)
- RAW: Approx. 25.8MB (5616 x 3744 pixels)
- sRAW 1: Approx. 14.8MB (3861 x 2574 pixels)
- sRAW 2: Approx. 10.8MB (2784 x 1856 pixels)
- Exact file sizes depend on the subject, ISO speed, Picture Style, etc.
- Recording Functions: With the WFT-E4A attached, image recording to the CF card and to the USB external media connected to the WFT-E4A will be possible as follows:
- Automatic switching of recording media
- Separate recordings according to image-recording quality
- Recording images having the same size
- Backup Recording: Enabled with WFT-E4A attached
- File Numbering: Consecutive numbering, auto reset, manual reset. Possible to create new folders and select folders in the CF card
- RAW + JPEG Simultaneous Recording: Provided (RAW/sRAW+JPEG also possible)
- Color Space: sRGB, Adobe RGB
- Picture Style: Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, User Def. 1-3
- Type: Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten Light, White Fluorescent Light, Flash, Custom, Color Temperature setting
- Auto White Balance: Auto white balance with the image sensor
- Color Temperature Compensation:
- White balance correction: +/-9 stops in full-stop increments
- White balance bracketing: ?3 stops in full-stop increments
- Blue/amber direction or magenta/green direction possible
- Color Temperature Information Transmission: Provided
- Type: Eye-level pentaprism
- Coverage: Vertical/Horizontal approx. 98%
- Magnification: Approx. 0.71x (-1m-1 with 50mm lens at infinity)
- Eyepoint: Approx. 21mm (from eyepiece lens center)
- Built-in Dioptric Adjustment: -3.0 to +1.0m^-1 (diopter)
- Focusing Screen: Interchangeable (Eg-D: Grid lines, Eg-S [point of Focus], Eg-A standard focusing screen provided
- Mirror: Quick-return half mirror (transmission: reflection ratio of 40:60, no mirror cutoff with EF600mm f/4L IS USM or shorter lenses)
- Viewfinder Information:
- AF information: AF points, focus confirmation light
- Exposure information: Shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed, AE lock, exposure level, spot metering circle
- Flash information: Flash ready, flash exposure compensation, High-speed sync, FE lock
- Image information: Highlight tone priority, monochrome shooting, maximum burst, white balance correction, CF card information
- Battery Information
- Depth-of-Field Preview: Enabled with depth-of-field preview button
- Type: TTL-CT-SIR AF-dedicated CMOS sensor
- AF Points: 9 (Cross-type)
- Metering Range: EV -0.5-18 (at 73 degrees F/23 degrees C, ISO 100)
- Focusing Modes: Auto, One-Shot AF, Predictive AI Servo AF, AI Focus AF, Manual focusing (MF)
- AF Point Selection: Automatic selection, manual selection
- Selected AF Point Display: Superimposed in viewfinder and indicated on LCD panel
- AF-assist Beam: When an external EOS-dedicated Speedlite is attached to the camera, the AF-assist beam from the Speedlite will be emitted when necessary.
- Metering Modes: 35-zone TTL full-aperture metering
- Evaluative metering (linkable to any AF point)
- Partial metering (approx. 8% of viewfinder at center)
- Spot metering (approx. 3.5% of viewfinder at center)
- Center-weighted average metering
- Metering Range: EV 1-20 (at 73 degrees F/23 degrees C with EF50mm f/1.4 USM lens, ISO 100)
- Exposure Control: Program AE (Shiftable), Shutter-priority AE, Aperture-priority AE, Creative Auto, Full auto, Manual exposure, E-TTL II autoflash program AE
- ISO Speed (Recommended Exposure Index): Automatically set, ISO 100-6400 (in 1/3-stop or 1-stop increments)
- Basic Zone modes: ISO 100-3200 set automatically
- Extension settable (with C.Fn.I-3-1): ISO 50 (L), 12800 (H1), 25600 (H2)
- High Tone Priority settable: ISO 200-1600
- Exposure Compensation: Manual: +/- 2 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments (can be combined with AEB)
- AE Lock:
- Auto: Applied in One-Shot AF mode with evaluative metering when focus is achieved
- Manual: By AE lock button
- Type: Vertical-travel, mechanical, Electronically-controlled, focal-plane shutter
- Shutter Speeds:
- 1/8000 to 1/60 sec., X-sync at 1/200 sec.
- 1/8000 to 30 sec., bulb (Total shutter speed range. Available range varies by shooting mode)
- Shutter Release: Soft-touch electromagnetic release
- Self-timer: 10-sec. or 2-sec. delay
- Remote Control: Remote control with N3-type terminal
- Zooming to Match Focal Length: Provided
- Compatible Flash: EX-series Speedlites
- Flash Metering: E-TTL II autoflash
- Flash Exposure Compensation: +/-2 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
- FE Lock: Provided
- External Flash Settings: Flash function settings, Flash C.Fn settings
- Drive Modes: Single, High-speed continuous, Low-speed continuous, and Self-timer (10-sec. or 2-sec. delay)
- Continuous Shooting Speed: Max. 3.9 shots/sec.
- Maximum Burst:
- JPEG (Large/Fine): approx. 78 (CF)/approx. 310 (UDMA CF)
- RAW: approx. 13/approx. 14 (UDMA CF)
- RAW+JPEG (Large/Fine): approx. 8 (CF/UDMA CF)
- Based on Canon's testing standards with a 2GB CF card, high-speed continuous shooting, ISO 100 and Standard Picture Style
- Varies depending on the subject, CF card brand, image-recording quality, ISO speed, drive mode, Picture Style, etc.
Live View Functions
- Shooting Modes: Still photo shooting and video shooting
- Quick mode (Phase-difference detection)
- Live mode/Face Detection Live mode (Contrast detection)
- Manual focusing (5x/10x magnification possible)
- Metering Modes:
- Evaluative metering with the image sensor (still photos)
- Center-weighted average metering (video)
- Metering Range: EV 0-20 (at 73 degrees F/23 degrees C with EF 50mm f/1.4 USM lens, ISO 100)
- Grid Display: Provided (Two-type grid displays)
- Exposure Simulation: Provided
- Silent Shooting: Provided (Mode 1 and 2)
- Type: TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor
- Monitor Size: 3.0 in.
- Dots: Approx. 920,000 (VGA)
- Coverage: Approx. 100% (viewing angle: approx. 170 degrees)
- Brightness Adjustment: Auto, 7 levels provided
- Interface Languages: 25 (English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, 15/15 Romanian, Ukraine, Turkish, Arabic, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean, Japanese)
- Display Format: Single image, Single image + Image-recording quality/shooting information, histogram, 4- or 9-image index, magnified view (approx. 1.5x-10x), rotated image (auto/manual), image jump (by 10/100 images, index screen, by shooting date, by folder), slide show (all images/selected by date/folder)
- Highlight Warning: Provided (Overexposed highlights blink)
Image Protection and Erase
- Protect: Single images can be erase-protected or not
- Erase: Single image, check-marked images or all images in the CF card can be erased (except protected images)
- Compatible Printers: PictBridge-compatible printers
- Printable Images: JPEG images compliant to Design rule for Camera File System (DPOF printing possible) and RAW/sRAW images captured with the EOS 5D Mark II
- Easy Print feature: Provided
DPOF: Digital Print Order Format
- DPOF: Version 1.1 compatible
Direct Image Transfer
- Compatible Images: JPEG and RAW images - Only JPEG images can be transferred as wallpaper on the personal computer screen
- Custom Functions: Total 25
- Camera User Settings: Register under Mode Dial's C1 and C3 positions
- My Menu Registration: Provided
- USB Terminal: For personal computer communication and direct printing (USB 2.0 Hi-Speed)
- Video Out Terminal:
- Video OUT terminal: NTSC/PAL selectable
- HDMI mini OUT terminal
- Extension System Terminal: For connection to WFT-E4A
- One Battery Pack LP-E6
- AC power can be supplied via AC Adapter Kit ACK-E6 with Battery Grip BG-E6 attached.
- Battery Check: Auto
- Power Saving: Provided. Power turns off after 1, 2, 4, 8, 15 or 30 min.
- Date/Time Battery: One CR1616 lithium-ion battery
- Start-up Time: Approx. 0.1 sec.
Dimensions and Weight
- Dimensions (WxHxD): Approx. 6.0 x 4.5 x 3.0 in./152.0 x 113.5 x 75.0mm
- Weight: Approx. 28.6 oz./810g (body only)
- Working Temperature Range: 32-104 degrees F/0-40 degrees C
- Working Humidity Range: 85% or less