The EF70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM telephoto zoom lens is the second model in Canon's EF lens lineup to incorporate a DO (Diffractive Optical element) lens. Equipped with a three-layer DO lens specially designed for use in zoom-lens optics, the new lens possesses an exceeding ability to correct chromatic and spherical aberrations and render high-quality images. The lens element also achieves major reductions in size, realizing savings of 28% in overall length compared to comparable lenses incorporating conventional refractive optical elements. Moreover, the size and weight advantage comes at no cost to image quality, with the EF70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM delivering image quality on par with Canon's L-series lenses. High performance features include image stabilization equivalent to shooting at approximately three shutter speeds faster, a circular diaphragm for improved background blur, and a zoom-ring locking mechanism that locks the lens in the fully retracted position to prevent unintended extension and damage when hanging from the user's neck.
- Ultra-compact zoom lens uses Canon's exclusive Diffractive Optics technology, now with three diffractive surfaces.
- Reduces lens size significantly and at the same time improves optical quality.
- Image Stabilization allows shooting at speeds up to three stops slower than otherwise possible.
- Aluminum alloy construction of major barrel components insures a smooth, solid lens.
- Zoom ring can be locked at the 70mm setting when lens is stored.
- Lens Construction (group) 12
- Lens Construction (element) 18
- No. of Diaphragm Blades 6
- Minimum Aperture 32-38 (1/3-stop increments is F32-40)
- Closest Focusing Distance (m) 1.4 Maximum Magnifcation (x)
- Filter Diameter (mm) 58 Maximum
- Diameter x Length (mm) 82.4 x 99.9 Weight (g) 720