An Ultra-Slim High Performer - In the twelve years since the original ELPH was instantly and universally proclaimed an icon of style, successive ELPH cameras have remained at the forefront of design even while boasting the very latest in digital technology. Now, opening a new era of ELPH design, the PowerShot ELPH 520 HS digital camera is both homage to the original ELPH and astonishing synthesis of Canon's leadership in technical advancements. A mere 0.76 inches thick, it is the world's thinnest 12x zoom camera*. Canon's pursuit of perfection has driven the development of new miniaturization including a new lens and new 10.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor that, powered by Canon's DIGIC 5 Image Processor, create images as breathtakingly beautiful as the camera itself. It's also packed with the latest Canon technologies including Smart AUTO with new Face ID and Full HD Video. Brimming with a full range of advanced technologies that automatically optimize the image quality of every shot, the PowerShot ELPH 520 HS digital camera makes the ultimate style icon incredibly effortless.
Incredibly Thin Design - Canon's unwavering commitment to equipping an ultra-thin, clean-profiled ELPH with 12x zooming power required a redesign of the lens, sensor and other technologies. This pursuit of perfection paid off, creating the world's thinnest camera with a 12x zoom. At an astonishingly thin 0.76 inches, it is significantly slimmer than competitors' 12x zoom models.
12x Optical Zoom and 28mm Wide-Angle Lens - Newly designed to custom-fit the PowerShot ELPH 520 HS digital camera's incredibly thin profile, the camera's 12x Optical Zoom and 28mm Wide-Angle Lens is a marvel of optical technology. The Wide-Angle lens gives you more to work with in every shot, adding depth, perspective and grandeur as called for. Landscapes, city scenes, family shots and more all benefit from the extra width. With a 12x Optical Zoom, no shot is beyond your reach. You'll love the flexibility it gives you when shooting: from a single vantage point you can capture an unlimited number of different images simply by zooming in and out. It also incorporates the latest in Canon UA lens technology, suppressing lens aberration for outstanding image quality throughout the entire zoom range. The camera's sensor was specifically designed for this lens, so even at the long end of the zoom images are bright and clear.
UA Lens Technology - Pioneered by Canon, UA Lens technology makes possible compact lenses with remarkable optical performance. By using molded glass with an ultra-high refractive index in aspherical lens elements, Canon has succeeded in reducing lens size while significantly reducing image aberrations. Another stellar example of cutting-edge Canon optics, UA Lens technology helps make PowerShot digital cameras pocket-friendly and capable of astounding image quality.
- World's thinnest camera with a 12x Optical Zoom, Optical Image Stabilizer and 28mm Wide-Angle lens.
- Canon's HS SYSTEM with a 10.1 Megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor combined with Canon's DIGIC 5 Image Processor for exceptional low-light performance up to ISO 3200.
- Shoot beautiful 1080p Full HD video in stereo sound with a dedicated movie button; zoom while shooting and play back videos on an HDTV via the HDMI output.
- A 3.0-inch PureColor System LCD enables easy viewing.
- Improved Smart AUTO intelligently selects the proper camera settings based on 58 predefined shooting situations, and the new Face ID function adjusts focus and exposure priority based on pre-registered faces.
- Intelligent IS automatically chooses from six different modes to optimize image stabilization for the shooting condition.
- Improved Movie Digest records a short 720p HD video clip right before shooting a photo and then combines one day's worth of clips into one video.
- New Smooth Skin and Soft Focus scene modes allow you to capture more pleasing portraits.
- High-Speed Burst Mode allows continuous shooting (6.8 fps) and Super Slow Motion Movie records video at high speeds to allow playback in slow motion.
Image Capture Device
Type - 10.1 Megapixel, 1/3-inch CMOS
Total Pixels - Approx. 16.8 Megapixels
Effective Pixels - Approx. 10.1 Megapixels
Focal Length - 4.0 (W) - 48.0mm (T) (35mm film equivalent: 28 (W) - 336mm (T))
Digital Zoom - 4x
Focusing Range - Auto: 0.4 in. (1cm) - infinity (W), 3.3 ft. (1m) - infinity (T) Normal: 2.0 in. (5cm) - infinity (W), 3.3 ft. (1m) - infinity (T) Macro: 0.4 in. - 1.6 ft. (1-50cm) (W)
Autofocus System - TTL Autofocus
Optical Viewfinder - N/A
LCD Monitor - 3.0-inch TFT Color with wide-viewing angle
LCD Pixels - Approx. 461,000 dots
LCD Coverage - Approx. 100%
Aperture and Shutter
Maximum Aperture - f/3.4 (W)-f/5.6 (T)
Shutter Speed - 1-1/4000 sec., 15-1/4000 sec. (Total shutter speed range)
Sensitivity - Auto, ISO 100/200/400/800/1600/3200
Light Metering Method - Evaluative, Center weighted average, Spot
Exposure Control Method - AE Lock
Exposure Compensation - +/-2 stops in 1/3-stop increments
White Balance Control - Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Custom
Built-in Flash - Auto, On, Slow Synchro, Off
Flash Range - 1.6 - 8.2 ft. (W), 3.3 - 4.9 ft. (T) (50 cm - 2.5 m (W), 1.0 - 1.5 m (T))
Recycling Time - 10 sec. or less (battery voltage: 3.5 V)
Flash Exposure Compensation - N/A
Shooting Modes - Auto, P, Movie Digest, Portrait, Smooth Skin, Smart Shutter, High-Speed Burst, Handheld Night Scene, Low Light, Fish-eye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Soft Focus, Monochrome, Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Color Accent, Color Swap, Underwater, Snow, Fireworks, Long Shutter, Stitch Assist, iFrame Movie, Super Slow Motion Movie
Photo Effects - My Colors Off, Vivid, Neutral, Sepia, Black & White, Positive Film, Lighter Skin, Darker Skin, Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, Vivid Red, Custom Color
Self Timer - Approx. 10-sec. delay/approx. 2-sec. delay/custom
Wireless Control - N/A
Continuous Shooting - [Normal] Approx. 2.8 shots/sec. (in P Mode) Approx. 6.8 shots/sec. (in High-Speed Burst mode)
- Under conditions where the flash does not fire automatically - Differs according to zoom position
Storage Media - microSD Memory Card, microSDHC Memory Card, microSDXC Memory Card
File Format - Design rule for Camera File system, DPOF (Version 1.1) compliant
Image Recording Format - Normal, Fine
JPEG Compression Mode - Still Image: Exif 2.3 (JPEG), Video: MOV (Image: H.264; Audio data; Linear PCM (2 channel stereo))
Number of Recording Pixels - Still Images: [16:9] Large: 3648 x 2048, Medium 1: 2816 x 1584, Medium 2: 1920 x 1080, Small: 640 x 360
[3:2] Large: 3648 x 2432, Medium 1: 2816 x 1880, Medium 2: 1600 x 1064, Small: 640 x 424
[4:3] Large: 3648 x 2736, Medium 1: 2816 x 2112, Medium 2: 1600 x 1200, Small: 640 x 480
[1:1] Large: 2736 x 2736, Medium 1: 2112 x 2112, Medium 2: 1200 x 1200, Small: 480 x 480
Movies: [iFrame Movie] 1280 x 720 (30 fps*1)
[Super Slow Motion Movie] 640 x 480*2, 320 x 240*3
[Miniature Effect] 1280 x 720*4, 640 x 480*4
[Other than the above] 1920 x 1080 (24 fps*5), 1280 x 720 (30 fps*1), 640 x 480 (30 fps*1)
*1 Actual frame rate is 29.97 fps. *2 Shooting: 120 fps., Playback: 30 fps*1 *3 Shooting: 240 fps., Playback: 30 fps*1 *4 Shooting: 6 fps, 3 fps, 1.5 fps Playback: 30 fps*1 *5 Actual frame rate is 23.976 fps
Playback Modes File
- Stills & Videos: Auto Rotate (Automatic vertical/horizontal detection), Image Advance (Operation Tools, Transition effects, Scroll Display), Rotate, Favorites, My Category, Smart Shuffle, Slide Show (Playback Interval, Repeat, Effect, Playlist)
- Still Images: Single, Index (4-100 thumbnails), Magnification (2-10x), Information Display, Red-eye Correction, i-Contrast, Trimming, Resize, My Colors, Focus Check, Histogram, Overexposure Warning
- Videos: Normal Playback*, Slow Motion**, Special Playback, Editing, Resume
*Auto settings available in 5 levels ** 5 levels (including normal playback), sound not available.
Back to TopErasing Specifications
Select image, select range, all images (all filtered images)
- The image data in the memory card stored with the Design rule for Camera File systems format can be erased (however, protected images cannot be erased).
- Using the Movie editing function, sections of the movie (1 sec. increments) can be deleted.
Video Out - NTSC/PAL (dedicated connector (female) with unified type of digital, audio and video), Mini-HDMI connector
Audio Out - Stereo (dedicated connector (female) unified type of digital, audio, and video)
Other - Mini-HDMI cable: connection to high definition monitor; miniSD Memory card slot; direct connection to Canon SELPHY Compact Photo Printers, PIXMA Inkjet Photo Printers and PictBridge-compatible printers via camera's USB 2.0 Hi-speed cable
Power Source - 1) Rechargeable lithium-ion Battery Pack NB-9L 2) Compact Power Adapter CA-DC10 (included with AC Adapter Kit ACK-DC70
Shooting Capacity - Approx. 190 shots
Playback Time - Approx. 4 hours
Operating Temperature - 32-104?F/0-40?C
Operating Humidity - 10-90%
Dimensions (W x H x D) - 3.43 x 2.12 x 0.76 in / 87.1 x 53.9 x 19.2mm
Weight - Approx. 5.47 oz. (155g) (Including the battery and memory card) Approx. 4.76 oz. (135g) (Camera only)
30 display languages provided - English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Portuguese, Korean, Greek, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Thai, Arabic, Romanian, Ukrainian, Farsi, Hindi, Malaysian, Indonesian and Vietnamese.