The PowerShot S100 is a sophisticated pocket-friendly point-and-shoot digital camera that has the power advanced users and enthusiasts need to create standout images. As with other PowerShot cameras, the compact PowerShot S100 incorporates all of the advanced Canon technologies that make capturing superb photos and video as easy as pressing a button. Yet, when it's time to get creative, the very same camera in the hands of a skilled photographer can produce stunning images that would be at home in a gallery. As automatic or manual as you need it to be, the PowerShot S100 is, at once, a pocket camera and a serious photographic tool, impressing even demanding pros. It incorporates the Canon HS SYSTEM, now featuring the new DIGIC 5 Image Processor for enhanced image quality and amazing low-light performance. The fast f/2.0 lens helps you tackle unfavorable lighting and capture breathtaking portraits with beautiful, shallow depth-of-field. 12.1 Megapixels ensure crisp, richly detailed images, and a 5x Optical Zoom provides an excellent all-around range to shoot near or far.
12.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor combined with the new DIGIC 5 Image Processor creates the Canon HS SYSTEM for improved low-light performance up to ISO 6400 and enhanced image quality.
The latest-generation Canon DIGIC 5 Image Processor brings phenomenal increases in processing speed and power. Improved chip architecture and algorithms deliver greatly expanded functionality with further refinement in image quality. Improved noise reduction produces clearer images when shooting in low light at high ISO speeds. Enhanced i-Contrast performance adjusts differences between light and dark areas to achieve even more natural-looking results. The faster processing speed also results in faster continuous shooting capability while maintaining full image quality. The DIGIC 5 Image Processor also makes possible a new, highly advanced automatic white balance system. Whereas conventional white balance makes an overall adjustment based on a single type of light source, the new Canon Multi-Area White Balance analyzes several areas of the image to determine whether different adjustments are needed, for example, for the main subject and the background.
Canon CMOS Sensor
The PowerShot S100 digital camera employs a new Canon 12.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor. Inheriting much of the advanced technology developed for Canon EOS DSLR cameras, this sensor delivers state-of-the-art imaging performance and is optimized for use in compact cameras, such as the PowerShot S100. Utilizing a sophisticated light-capturing design, it provides high sensitivity for improved high ISO capture without increased noise. It is also a high-speed design, capable of rapidly capturing and moving image data to the processor, enabling faster continuous shooting and faster autofocus.
Canon HS SYSTEM
The Canon HS SYSTEM lets you take bright, clear photos in an even wider range of shooting situations. Beautiful low-light shots are possible with minimal noise and maximum detail in highlight and shadow areas. The system is the result of two technologies brought together in PowerShot cameras: a high-sensitivity imaging sensor, which is able to capture more light; and the DIGIC Image Processor, which actively reduces noise with high-speed image processing. The 12.1 Megapixel Canon CMOS sensor in the PowerShot S100 incorporates advanced light reception technology that enhances sensitivity. The new DIGIC 5 Image Processor provides a major boost in noise reduction, expanding the usable ISO range to an amazing high of ISO 6400. The Canon HS SYSTEM thus lets you use higher shutter speeds to capture clearer images with reduced noise and blur.
Capture stunning Full HD 1080p video in stereo sound with a dedicated movie button; zoom while shooting and play back videos on an HDTV via the HDMI output.
In addition to the Canon HS SYSTEM, the combination of the advanced CMOS sensor and DIGIC 5 Image Processor in the PowerShot S100 makes it possible to shoot crisp, clear high definition video. Imagine the fun and excitement of being able to shoot spectacular 1080p Full HD video with stereo sound that you can later watch on your HDTV or download to your computer to share with family and friends. In addition to being able to shoot Full HD 1080p video at 24 frames per second, the PowerShot S100 can also shoot 720p HD video at 30 frames per second. (Actual frame rate is 23.976 fps and 29.97 fps)
Dedicated Movie Button, Wind filter feature and Optical Zoom for easy video capture
It's never been easier to shoot videos with a PowerShot digital camera. The PowerShot S100 has a dedicated movie button that lets you start and stop recording instantly. There is no need to go through layers of menus or operate switches or dials to switch to and from video recording mode. The camera is always ready to shoot stills or video whenever you want. The PowerShot S100 also incorporates an electronic wind filter, which suppresses wind noise that can muffle or distort the sound. And unlike less sophisticated point-and-shoot cameras, the PowerShot S100 lets you use the full range of optical zoom when you're shooting a video.
HDTV Playback via HDMI with CEC Support
It's easy to enjoy and share the videos you shoot with the PowerShot S100. Simply connect its HDMI terminal to your HDTV using an HDMI cable. And because the PowerShot S100 supports HDMI-CEC technology, you'll be able to control the playback of your images and videos on any CEC-enabled HDTV using the TV's remote control. (CEC - Consumer Electronic Control - is part of the HDMI specification, enabling components in a system to communicate with one another.)
iFrame Movie Support
With the PowerShot S100, you can also shoot video in the Apple iFrame format, which is a computer-friendly standard that speeds up importing and editing of videos. It keeps file sizes small, making it more convenient to upload or e-mail high-quality videos. The iFrame format enjoys native support in compatible Mac and Windows video applications, making it unnecessary to perform time-consuming and often quality-degrading conversions.
5x Optical Zoom with 24mm wide angle allows you to capture more in your frame, and a bright f/2.0 lens makes it ideal for low-light conditions or using shallow depth-of-field for dramatic, soft backgrounds.
The PowerShot S100 features a 5x Optical Zoom that will appeal to enthusiasts and casual shooters alike. The zoom range starts at 24mm (35mm equivalent) at full wide-angle, providing the coverage needed to capture indoor group photos, tall buildings, and dramatic landscapes. Full telephoto is 120mm (35mm equivalent), providing a versatile range that includes focal lengths perfect for portraits and close-ups.
Bright f/2.0 Lens
A fast f/2.0 maximum lens aperture enhances the camera's ability to capture excellent images in low light, but it also does more. You can shoot professional-looking portraits by taking advantage of shallow depth-of-field to impart a pleasing blur to the background. The large aperture also lets you capture more nuances in dimly lit scenes by making better use of the available light.
Intelligent IS automatically chooses from six different modes to optimize image stabilization for the shooting condition.
The latest advance in Canon Optical Image Stabilization technology, Intelligent IS analyzes camera movement and applies the best shake correction method for the shooting situation. For stills, the system automatically selects among Normal, Panning, Macro (Hybrid) and Tripod IS modes. When shooting video, the system automatically selects among Dynamic, Powered, Macro and Tripod IS modes. With Intelligent IS, you can concentrate on image capture, letting the camera make the most effective IS settings to assure the steadiest possible image.
- Normal - Corrects for a wide range of camera movement when shooting stills.
- Panning - Panning motion is detected so that IS does not interfere with desired camera movement.
- Hybrid - Corrects for shift-type camera shake, which typically occurs in macro (close-up) shooting.
- Dynamic - Effective for video shooting at wide-angle focal lengths, eliminating the unwanted shaking that typically occurs while walking.
- Powered - Compensates for hand movement when shooting video at the telephoto end of the zoom range, where camera shake is magnified.
- Tripod - When tripod use is detected, the Image Stabilizer is stopped because it is not needed.
High-Speed Burst HQ allows for continuous capture at a maximum of 8 frames while maintaining superb image quality and Super Slow Motion Movie records video at high speeds to allow playback in slow motion.
Utilizing the increased processing speed and power of the new Canon DIGIC 5 Image Processor, High-Speed Burst HQ makes it possible to capture fast action stills at full resolution during continuous shooting. The results are exceptionally high-quality images recorded in rapid sequence. In this mode, the PowerShot S100 can capture a maximum of 8 shots in a single burst. The continuous shooting speed is approx. 9.6 fps.
PowerShot cameras offer shooting modes that make it easy to take perfect photos in a wide range of shooting situations by providing intelligent presets with optimized settings.
- Custom - Define and store your own settings to achieve the effects you prefer.
- Manual - You have complete control of exposure, selecting both aperture and shutter speed manually.
- Aperture-Priority - You set the aperture, controlling depth-of-field. The camera automatically selects the shutter speed.
- Shutter-priority - You select the shutter speed to stop or blur action, and the camera finds the appropriate aperture. With slow exposure times, Canon's noise reduction system activates to ensure low image noise.
- Program - Access advanced exposure compensation features while shooting mostly automatically.
- Smart AUTO - The camera automatically selects the best shooting settings for optimal quality based on subjects and environmental factors to provide point-and-shoot simplicity.
- Movie Digest - Records a video clip before capturing a still image and then combines one day's worth of clips into a video.
- Portrait - The camera sets a large aperture, focusing the subject and artistically blurring the background to make your subject "pop."
- Landscape - Increases depth-of-field for sharp and sweeping landscape shots.
- Kids & Pets - Reduced focusing time freezes fast-moving subjects, so you won't miss those special shots.
- Smart Shutter - The camera automatically takes the photo when people smile, wink, or get into frame.
- High-Speed Burst HQ - Captures fast-action shots at full sensor resolution, by shooting continuously when the shutter button is held down.
- Handheld Night Scene - Take clear and steady pictures at night without the use of a tripod.
- Beach - Get clear shots of people at a sunny beach without darkened faces.
- Underwater - Capture underwater images with reduced backscatter effect. Optional Underwater Case required.
- Foliage - Capture brilliant shots of autumn foliage, greenery and blossoms.
- Snow - Shoot clear snow scenes without darkened subjects or an unnatural bluish tint.
- Fireworks - Grab brilliant images of skyrocketing fireworks.
- Stitch Assist - Easy-to-use guidelines simplify the shooting of aligned multiple frames that can later be combined (using bundled software) to create panoramic photos.
- Creative Filters - This setting provides easy access to special filter effects and scene modes, such as Toy Camera Effect, Poster Effect, Monochrome and more.
- High Dynamic Range - The camera combines three different exposures to get one evenly lit image.
Nostalgic Create the look and feel of old photographs using sepia tones and black-and-white.
- Fisheye Effect - Add a classic photo distortion without a fisheye lens.
- Miniature Effect for Movies & Stills - Emphasizes perspectives for a miniature effect by blurring upper and bottom portions of the image.
- Toy Camera Effect - Simulates photos taken with "toy" or pinhole cameras, darkening the image at the edges to create a vignette effect.
- Monochrome - Choose from three single-tone effects: Black-and-White, Sepia, or Blue.
- Super Vivid - Super Vivid intensifies existing hues, saturating the scene with bright colors.
- Poster Effect - Poster Effect combines several similar shades into one color, turning subtle gradations into eye-catching, scene-popping contrasts.
- Color Accent - Choose to retain a single color in your image while other colors turn monochrome.
- Color Swap - Select a color and replace it with a color you specify for special effects.
- Movie - Record video in stereo sound. Unwanted scenes can be deleted in playback mode.
- iFrame Movie - The Applemovie format, iFrame, makes it easier and quicker to import and upload videos while retaining high image quality.
- Super Slow Motion Movie - Record your clips in high speed (approx. 240 fps), and then watch your videos in slow motion.
Creating a video containing highlights of a family vacation or an important occasion is a lot easier than you might think. When you use Movie Digest on the PowerShot S100, the camera will automatically record a short video clip (up to approximately 4 seconds) every time you shoot a still image. That entire day's worth of clips will then be automatically combined into a single video. Movie Digest does all the work, so you can sit back and enjoy your video!
How does this work? When you activate Movie Digest, the camera continuously records a "loop" of video up to 4 seconds long into an area of the memory card reserved for this feature. Every time you take a still photo, the video clip residing in memory at that time is appended to a file that will eventually become the day's highlights video. The following day, the camera will start a new video file. Movie Digest does not affect regular video shooting, so you can use it and still switch between still and video capture as desired.
Although the beauty of Movie Digest is the ease with which you can create a video of the day, you can, if you wish, edit the created videos on your computer. Version 6.8 or later of the included ZoomBrowser EX (for Windows) and ImageBrowser (for Mac OS) software lets you freely select and delete unwanted scenes from your Movie Digest videos.
Full range of shooting and recording modes including RAW + JPEG for the ultimate creative control, and a control ring for intuitive manual adjustment.
The PowerShot S100 lets you shoot in RAW mode, which captures images that are uncompressed and essentially unprocessed by the camera. Often the choice of advanced photographers, RAW images can be processed in your computer using Canon DPP (Digital Photo Professional) or other compatible third-party software. Creative control is completely in your hands as you adjust a wide range of variables to produce exactly the final image you want. The camera can also be set to allow the simultaneous recording of both RAW and JPEG images while shooting.
Focus, Exposure, ISO, Step Zoom, or White Balance can now be adjusted more quickly and conveniently with the PowerShot S100's control ring. Located at the base of the lens barrel, the ring is more intuitive than other types of controls for many experienced photographers. The functions that can be assigned to the control ring vary with shooting mode, and you can set your preferences quickly using the dedicated ring function selector button.
Built-in GPS tracker records your location, and a logger allows easy viewing of the locations on a map to help you remember where images were taken.
The PowerShot S100 digital camera is equipped with Global Positioning System (GPS) technology. Now you can travel the world and let the camera automatically record the locations and local times of your stills and videos. The camera can also use the GPS unit to automatically set the exact time. You can maximize the usefulness of the GPS feature by using the special bundled Map Utility software that makes it fun to share the memories of your world adventures. In addition to displaying all your photos' locations on a world map, the camera's GPS system can also track your route from photo to photo - a great way to visualize each trip! You can also create and share custom maps and personal mini-travel guides with friends and family members. *In certain countries and regions, the use of GPS may be restricted. Therefore, be sure to use GPS in accordance with the laws and regulations of your country or region. Be particularly careful when traveling outside your home country.
Large 3.0-inch wide LCD enables easy viewing. PureColor System LCD
The PowerShot S100 digital camera's large and bright 3.0-inch PureColor LCD screen makes it easy to view and frame your shots in high resolution (461,000 dots). PureColor technology delivers excellent contrast with rich, true-to-life color. Moreover, you can view the LCD screen over a surprisingly wide angle ? above, below or to either side ? without color shifts and with minimal reflections. A scratch-proof hard coating and a dust-repellent fluorine coating ensure a durable screen that dependably displays clear, vibrant images.
Face Detection Technology & Smart Shutter
Face Detection technology makes it easy for you to take great photos of people. The camera will automatically detect the face(s) in a frame to give it optimal focus, exposure, flash (if needed) and white balance. Smart Shutter adds fun and convenience to Face Detection because you can set the camera to release the shutter when someone winks, smiles or even enters the frame.
Best Image Selection
Best Image Selection is an easy way to get great results almost every time you take a picture. When you press the shutter release, the camera will rapidly shoot a series of five images, then assess the images for any unwanted facial movements and camera shake. Out of the five images, the camera will select and save the best one. Image resolution is 1984 x 1488 pixels when shooting with Best Image Selection.
Available in 27 Languages
With the new addition of Hindi, there are a total of 27 display languages from which you can choose: English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Portuguese, Korean, Greek, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Thai, Arabic, Romanian, Ukrainian, Farsi and Hindi.