Powered to Inspire
The PowerShot G7 X is a premium high-performance camera that puts exciting and impressive capabilities in a sophisticated, compact package. It starts with the sensor: a large and light-grabbing 1.0-inch, 20.2 Megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor powered by Canon's latest generation DIGIC 6 Image Processor for beautifully rendered low-light photography up to ISO 12800. The IS lens is a f/1.8 (W)-f/2.8 (T) that puts more in your frame while staying bright to the maximum 4.2x Optical Zoom (24mm-100mm), with a 9-blade circular aperture diaphragm for artistic background blur, and a minimum focus range of just 5cm for precise macro shooting. Wi-Fi- and NFC-enabled, the PowerShot G7 X is selfie-ready with a high-resolution multi-angle capacitive 3.0-inch touch panel LCD. Shooting is a joy with High-Speed AF (0.14 sec.), 31 AF points, full-resolution continuous shooting up to 6.5 fps and 1080p/60p HD video. Designed to provide stellar images, the PowerShot G7 X is a compact digital camera powered to inspire your most impressive photography. And it delivers.
New 1.0-inch, 20.2 Megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS Sensor
Larger than the sensors widely used for compact cameras, the PowerShot G7 X camera's new 1.0-inch sensor achieves a beautiful balance between high sensitivity and high image quality. The sensor is able to collect more light in a shorter time period without the overflow that causes blown-out highlights. This means better detail and more subtle image quality, with rich gradation even at high ISO speeds all the way to 12800. A high signal-to-noise ratio delivers minimal noise and distortion with breathtaking dynamic range, particularly notable in bright areas. And photography enthusiasts will appreciate the changes in image processing for the PowerShot G7 X, which include target exposure value and contrast characteristics of highlights. Thanks to this change, dynamic range in bright areas is expanded with gradation attributes that are similar to EOS. Also, by changing the exposure index standard, it is possible to shoot at almost the same brightness with the same aperture, shutter speed and ISO settings as EOS.
The PowerShot G7 X natively captures images in the 3:2 aspect ratio, which is the same as Canon EOS SLR cameras. The camera's image creation technology was designed with post processing in mind, and features an Aspect Ratio function, enabling RAW image capture in both 3:2 and 4:3 aspect ratios while maintaining the same angle of view.
Serious Imaging Power in a Compact Camera.
Canon DIGIC 6 Image Processor
The PowerShot G7 X is powered by the latest iteration of Canon's proprietary processor, the DIGIC 6 Image Processor, which takes still and video image quality to a beautiful new level. Improved light sensitivity allows for higher resolution with less noise when shooting in dark conditions, and Dynamic IS now detects and compensates for tilt and parallel movement (shift blur) to create video that's exceptionally free of distortion.
Advanced Optics for Sophisticated Images.
f/1.8 (W) - f/2.8 (T), 4.2x Optical Zoom (24mm-100mm) Lens
The remarkable new lens on the PowerShot G7 X camera takes full advantage of the camera's large sensor, giving your photography a wide range of expression. With a very bright aperture value of f/1.8 at the wide angle and f/2.8 when fully zoomed to a factor of 4.2x (24mm-100mm), this lens not only puts more in your frame, but is equipped to capture an incredible variety of situations with artistry and precision. Equipped with a 9-blade Iris diaphragm, the lens lets you achieve a beautiful background defocus with shapes that are nearly round. Capture macro shots from as close as 2.0 in. (telephoto at 1.3 ft.). From a design perspective, each of the 11 glass lenses on the PowerShot G7 X has a multi-layer coating on it, which is similar to the Super Spectra Coating technology developed for EF lenses. These coatings have features like a high transmission factor, ultraviolet protection, resistant surface hardness, and stable characteristics. The coating also maximizes suppression of unwanted reflected light from ghosting or flaring to deliver clear images with high image quality.
Capture More Angles - Even Selfies.
High-resolution Multi-angle Touch Panel LCD.
The PowerShot G7 X camera's LCD screen can tilt up 180?, so taking that perfect selfie is a snap! In fact, the multi-angle LCD encourages creative framing because it's easy to achieve a flexible array of camera angles. Capacitive touch-panel operation feels familiar right away: simply touch to access quick control settings, focus and shutter release right on screen. A resolution of 1.04 million pixels makes the glare-free display ultra crisp and clear, so it's easy to compose your shots, choose camera settings, and review and share your images.
Continuous Shooting Gives You the Shot You Want.
Full Resolution Continuous Shooting and High-Speed AF
Powered by the DIGIC 6 Image Processor, the PowerShot G7 X camera gives you a seamless, high-speed continuous shooting (up to 6.5 fps) experience that's fully available in P, Tv, Av, M and Auto modes. Shooting and processing are now performed in tandem, reducing buffering time to deliver high shooting speeds. With the significantly higher AF speed, achieving focus nearly the instant the camera is aimed is made possible. With no separate mode setting and no reduction in image quality, you can freeze brilliant action shots with ease.
31 AF Points
With 31 focus points arranged in an expanded, wide pattern across the image plane, the PowerShot G7 X focuses with admirable speed and precision. Smaller focus frame sizes also make it possible to obtain accurate focus on small subjects. The PowerShot G7 X also supports 1-point and Touch AF.
Simply Tap to Connect.
Built-in NFC (Near Field Communication)
The PowerShot G7 X camera supports NFC (Near Field Communication) technology, eliminating the need to manually find and open the Canon CameraWindow app on your mobile device. Simply touch the NFC icon on your camera to your compatible Android device, and the CameraWindow app will launch automatically for remote shooting and quick, easy sharing of your images. Built-in NFC technology also makes it simpler to install the app. If the app hasn't been installed yet, once you touch the devices together for the first time, the download screen will display automatically.
Enhanced Wi-Fi Capabilities
The PowerShot G7 X is equipped with built-in Wi-Fi technology for convenient sharing and transferring of your still images and video. Easily post your images to social networking and media sites - Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Flickr, and Google Drive - through CANON iMAGE GATEWAY# directly from your PowerShot camera, or save them to the online photo album to share anytime, anywhere. The camera can also connect directly to both iOS and Android devices, and upload images via the free Canon CameraWindow app without a computer. You can control the destination of your uploads to share with everyone or to selected groups, and even add comments. Sharing video is also easy with the PowerShot G7 X, which records video using the MP4 format. Enhanced Wi-Fi makes posting in real time possible, so you can keep everyone up to date with amazing photos and video even as events unfold. The built-in Wi-Fi technology on the PowerShot G7 X also allows you to transfer images to other Wi-Fi equipped PowerShot cameras or print your photos directly to a PictBridge (Wireless LAN) certified printer.
Mobile Device Connect Button
One-touch connection to your mobile device or computer is also made possible on the PowerShot G7 X with the camera's dedicated Mobile Device Connect Button. You can choose to transfer images to your smartphone or tablet for immediate sharing with the CameraWindow app, or to your computer on the same network with Image Sync to make saving and organizing your images easier. When the camera finds a linked computer on the same wireless network, images are sent directly to it. Otherwise, images are temporarily stored on CANON iMAGE GATEWAY# then transferred once a connection is made, eliminating the need for cables.
Take Control of Your HD Video.
Canon Full HD Video with Manual Control
Whether you're creating artistic film clips or capturing special occasions, the advanced video capabilities of the PowerShot G7 X camera will get them the attention they deserve. Incredibly realistic 1080p Full HD video is recorded at 60 frames per second with stereo sound in convenient MP4 format. Video is smooth and richly detailed even when played back on a large-screen HDTV via the camera's HDMI output. The MP4 format's small file size lets you fit more on a single memory card, and makes downloading and sharing quicker and easier. In keeping with the camera's EOS-like capabilities, Manual movie mode is also available. Adjust Av, Tv, and ISO speed - you can even select focus points by using the touch panel LCD screen - either before or during video capture to express your vision your way in a wider variety of situations - all from a compact that fits in your bag.
The PowerShot G7 X also records video in the Apple iFrame format, a computer-friendly standard that speeds up the importing and editing of videos. The format keeps file sizes small, so uploading or e-mailing high-quality videos is quick and easy. The iFrame format enjoys native support in compatible Mac and Windows video applications, so you won't need to make time-consuming conversions that can degrade quality.
Optimal Image Stabilization in Any Situation.
It's easy to capture clear, steady images with the PowerShot G7 X camera - even in low light without using a tripod - because it is equipped with Canon's innovative Intelligent IS. The system automatically analyzes camera movement and applies the best shake correction method for the shooting situation, allowing you to focus on framing and capturing your shot. For stills, the system selects from Normal IS, Panning IS, Macro (Hybrid) IS and Tripod modes. When shooting video, the system selects from Dynamic IS, Powered IS, Macro (Hybrid) IS and Active Tripod IS modes. Icons clearly mark the image stabilization mode, whether you're shooting still images or video.
Control Designed with Photographers in Mind.
Convenient control ring, exposure dial, and mode dial provide intuitive manual adjustment
Thoughtfully designed controls distinguish the PowerShot G7 X camera as the first of its line, and will satisfy even advanced photographers. The front control ring makes easy setting changes possible, with customizable zoom, Tv and Av assignments. A two-layer exposure compensation dial is easily accessed from the secure, concave thumb grip, and keeps pace as you quickly and actively create images. A mode dial and dedicated Movie button - as well as two customizable functions buttons on the back of the camera that you manually set to gain easy access to some shooting modes and functions - all contribute to the camera's quick, convenient operability.
Capture the Night Sky Like Never Before.
Star Shooting Mode
Starry skies were formerly out of reach to all but experienced SLR camera users; however, star shooting modes on the PowerShot G7 X camera make these wonderfully impressive images accessible to all. With just a tripod and simple settings, you can capture exquisite Star Nightscapes, Star Trails, Star Time-Lapse Movies and Star Portraits. In Star Portrait mode, the camera consecutively takes two shots of the subject, plus one of the night sky, and then merges them into a single image, creating beautiful portraits with a starry background. The modes can be performed fully automatically or with manual controls for extra versatility. Support functions including Night Display, Color Adjustment and Star Emphasis make any starry sky easier to capture.
HDR handheld (no tripod required)
Although the PowerShot G7 X camera has been designed with an expanded dynamic range for excellent capture of bright areas, high contrast environments can be further controlled with High Dynamic Range shooting mode. In this mode, the camera will shoot three different exposures in succession (underexposed, overexposed and normal) and then merge them into a single image. Underexposed areas are combined with the overexposed and vice versa, resulting in an evenly detailed image with flattering shadows and highlights. The camera allows you to use this mode without a tripod, and features four sub-modes in addition to Natural - Art Standard, Art Vivid, Art Bold and Art Embossed - which provide striking effects that add to the creativity of your compositions.
As with many EOS DSLR cameras, the PowerShot G7 X camera uses a 12-bit converter to process the output of the CMOS sensor, resulting in true color, smooth tonal transitions and natural gradations. The PowerShot G7 X lets you shoot in RAW mode, which records all the information captured by the sensor, giving you outstanding flexibility and complete creative control when editing your images with Canon's powerful bundled software. The camera also allows you to record in RAW and JPEG formats simultaneously. Now, in RAW mode, you can even select among several aspect ratios, including 16:9, 3:2, 4:3, 1:1 and 4:5.
The PowerShot G7 X camera includes a neutral density (ND) filter. The ND filter reduces light coming into the sensor, which allows you to set longer exposure times and very wide apertures to create striking photographic effects.
The Creative Shot mode featured on the PowerShot G7 X camera can help anyone create images with artistic flair. Rather than randomly applying filters, Creative Shot mode takes advantage of Canon's advanced image and scene analysis technology to apply any of the 46 filter options based on the individual scene, subject and exposure. In addition to the original shot, the camera automatically produces and saves five unique variations of the composition by cropping it, rotating it, or adjusting its color, tone, and more. The result is stunning artistic photos that are perfect for sharing.
- Compact digital still camera with built-in flash, 4.2x Optical, 4x Digital and Approx. 17x Combined Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer
Image Capture Device
- 20.2 Megapixel, 1.0-inch CMOS (sensor aspect ratio: 3:2)
- Image processing may cause a decrease in the number of pixels
- Approx. 20.9 Megapixels
- Approx. 20.2 Megapixels
- 8.8 (W) - 36.8 (T) mm (35mm film equivalent: 24-100mm)
- Normal/Auto: 2.0 in. (5 cm) - infinity (W), 1.3 ft. (40 cm) - infinity (T) Macro: 2.0 in. - 1.6 ft. (5-50 cm) (W)
- TTL Autofocus (Continuous, Servo AF), Manual Focus
- Not available
- 3.0-inch Tilt, Capacitive Touch Panel LCD with wide viewing angle (3:2)
- Approx. 1.04 million dots
- Approx. 100%
Aperture and Shutter
- f/1.8 (W), f/2.8 (T)
- 1-1/2000 sec.
- 15-1/2000 sec. (in Tv mode)
- 250-1/2000 sec. (in M mode)
- 30-1.3 sec is available only at ISO 125-3200, 250-40 sec. is available only at ISO 125.
- Auto, ISO 125/160/200/250/320/400/500/640/800/1000/1250/1600/2000/2500/3200/ 4000/5000/6400/8000/10000/12800 (When in P mode)
- Optimal ISO speed is automatically set depending on the shooting mode.
Light Metering Method
- Evaluative, Center-weighted average, Spot (Fixed to Center, linked to AF frame)
- Facial brightness is evaluated (Face Detect AE) in Face Detect.
- Fixed to Center, linked to AF frame
Exposure Control Method
- Manual Exposure, Program Shift, Safety Shift, AE Lock
- Still Images: ?3 stops in 1/3-stop increments
- Videos: ?3 stops in 1/3-stop increments (not available during shooting)
White Balance Control
- Auto, Day Light, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Flash, Underwater, Custom 1, Custom 2, Multi-area White Balance, White Balance Correction (Underwater mode), White Balance Correction
- Auto, Flash, On, Slow Synchro, Flash Off
- Facial brightness is also evaluated in Face Detect
- 1.6 ft. (50 cm) -23 ft. (7.0 m) (W), 1.3 ft. (40 cm) - 13 ft. (4.0 m) (T)
- Image brightness may diminish depending on the shooting distance
- 10 seconds or less (battery voltage: 3.7 V)
Flash Exposure Compensation
- ?2 stops in 1/3-stop increments
- C, M, Av, Tv, P, Hybrid Auto, Auto, Creative Shot
- Shooting movies is done with the movie button
- SCN: Portrait, Smart Shutter (Smile, Wink Self-timer, Face Self-timer), Star (Star Portrait, Star Nightscape, Star Trails, Star Time-Lapse Movie), Handheld Night Scene, Underwater, Snow, Fireworks
- Creative Filters: High Dynamic Range, Nostalgic, Fisheye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Background Defocus, Soft Focus, Monochrome, Super Vivid, Poster Effect
- Movie: Standard, Manual (Movie), iFrame Movie
- My Colors Off, Vivid, Neutral, Sepia, Black & White, Positive Film, Lighter Skin Tone, Darker Skin Tone, Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, Vivid Red, Custom Color (Adjustment of contrast sharpness, saturation, red, green, blue and skin tone are available)
- Approx. 10-sec. delay/approx. 2-sec. delay/custom(Delay time (0-15 sec. (in one-second increments), 20/25/30 sec.) and number of shots (1-10 shots (in one-shot increments)) can be specified.)
- Not available
- Normal: Approx. 6.5 shots/sec (in AUTO and P modes)
- AF: Approx. 4.4 shots/sec. (in P mode)
- LV: Approx. 4.4 shots/sec. (in P mode)
- Under conditions where the flash does not fire automatically.
- Differs depending on the zoom position.
- SD/SDHC/SDXC and UHS-I Memory Cards
- Design rule for Camera File system, DPOF (Version 1.1) compliant
Image Recording Format
- Superfine / Fine
JPEG Compression Mode
- Still Image: Exif. 2.3 (JPEG), RAW (12 bit, CR2 (Canon Original))
- Video: MP4 (Image: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264; Audio: MPEG-4 AAC-LC (Stereo))
Number of Recording Pixels
- 16:9 - Large: 5472 x 3080; Medium 1: 4320 x 2432; Medium 2: 1920 x 1080; Small: 720 x 408;
- 3:2 - Large: 5472 x 3648, Medium 1: 4320 x 2880, Medium 2: 2304 x 1536, Small: 720 x 480
- 4:3 - Large: 4864 x 3648, Medium 1: 3840 x 2880, Medium 2: 2048 x 1536, Small: 640 x 480
- 1:1 - Large: 3648 x 3648; Medium 1: 2880 x 2880; Medium 2: 1536 x 1536; Small: 480 x 480
- 4:5 - Large: 2912 x 3648; Medium 1: 2304 x 2880; Medium 2: 1232 x 1536; Small: 384 x 480;
- Full HD 1920 x 1080: 60 fps*4 / 30 fps*2
- Full HD iFrame: 1920 x 1080: 30 fps*2
- Full HD Star Time-Lapse Movie: 1920 x 1080: 15 fps*3 / 30 fps*2
- HD 1280 x 720: 30 fps*2
- 640 x 480: 30 fps*2
- Miniature Effect: 1280 x 720: 6 fps*1 / 3 fps*1 / 1.5 fps*1
- Miniature Effect: 640 x 480: 6 fps*1 / 3 fps*1 / 1.5 fps*1
- Digest Movie: 1280 x 720: 30 fps
*1 Playback frame rate is 30 fps*2.
*2 Actual frame rate is 29.97 fps.
*3 Actual frame rate is 14.985 fps.
*4 Actual frame rate is 59.94 fps.
Playback Modes File
Stills & Videos:
- Auto Rotate, Index Continuous Display, Image Advance (Transition Effects, Scroll Display), Rotate, Favorites, My Category, Smart Shuffle, Group Playback, Slideshow, Erase, Resume, Protect
- Single, Index, Magnification (2-10x), Switch to other images while zoomed, Information Display, Photobook Setup, Cropping, Resize, My Colors, Face ID Info, Histogram, RGB Histogram, Location Information, Overexposure Warning
- Normal Playback, Pause, Slow Motion, Skip Backward, Previous Frame, Next Frame, Skip Forward, Erase Clip, Editing, Movie Transcoding
- Select Image, Select Range, Select All Images
- The image data in the memory card stored with the Design rule for Camera File systems formate can be erased (however, protected images cannot be erased).
- Using the Movie editing function, sections of the movie can be deleted.
- RAW+JPEG images can be erased individually.
- Analog: NTSC or PAL, Digital: HDMI (HDMI micro connector)
- SD memory card slot; direct connection to Canon SELPHY, PIXMA Photo Printers & PictBridge compatible printers
- Battery Pack NB-13L, AC Adapter Kit ACK-DC110
- Approx. 210 shots
- Approx. 310 shots with ECO Mode
- Approx. 4 hours
Dimensions (W x H x D)
- 4.06 x 2.38 x 1.59 in. / 103.0 x 60.4 x 40.4 mm
- 10.7 oz. / 304 g (CIPA standard)
- 9.84 oz. / 279 g (camera only)