Welcome to photography.
Before the D3400, you chose your smartphone camera for convenience. Zooming was clumsy. Shooting in low light was nearly impossible. Capturing fast action was a game of luck. But after the D3400, you'll see that you were compromising image quality. That some of the greatest photos happen when the light is low. That fast action can be frozen in perfect clarity. And that a camera and a smartphone can work together in harmony to make the photos you share absolutely amazing.
Photos and videos captured with the D3400 and a superb NIKKOR lens are as vibrant and lifelike as the moments they preserve. Shoot in extremely low light without a problem. Freeze fast-action in its tracks. Create portraits with rich, natural skin tones and beautifully blurred backgrounds. The photos you share will amaze everyone-even yourself.
- Breathtaking image quality - 24.2MP sensor with no optical low-pass filter
- Flawless low-light photos - Native ISO range from 100?25,600
- The speed to freeze time - EXPEED 4 image processing
- Always connected - Nikon SnapBridge connectivity
Nikon SnapBridge - Camera, smartphone and cloud in perfect harmony
SnapBridge has changed the way cameras and smartphones work together-and only Nikon has it. Take a picture with the D3400 and it's automatically transferred to your compatible smartphone or tablet, ready to share. SnapBridge works seamlessly with NIKON IMAGE SPACE, a cloud storage and sharing site, to back-up your photos and to help you create and share albums with your friends and family. The future of photo sharing is here.
- One-time setup - Easily pairs with up to five smart devices; always connected.
- Automatic transfers - Photos automatically appear on your smart device.
- Easy sharing - Create and share albums on the go with a free NIKON IMAGE SPACE account.
- Peace of mind - Backups are automatically stored in the cloud on NIKON IMAGE SPACE.
A camera designed for you
Compact and lightweight, the D3400 is designed to go everywhere you go. Even first-time DLSR owners will quickly feel at home-the camera's controls are smartly laid out for comfort and intuitive control. The bright optical viewfinder provides a sharp, glare-free view of the world, and the comfortable grip enables precise handling.
The gateway to better photography
The D3400 makes photography easy and fun, freeing you to focus on your natural talents-framing great shots, anticipating special moments and finding unique perspectives in everyday scenes. As your abilities grow (and they will grow) you can take complete creative control of the D3400.
Learn while doing; the D3400 actually teaches you how to use it with step-by-step instruction, right in the camera.
Nearly 100 years of Nikon know-how is programmed into the D3400 for outstanding results, effortlessly.
Capture the sights and sounds
At the touch of a button, the D3400 records dazzling 1080/60p Full HD video. Nikon's new AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens uses a stepping motor for smooth and quiet autofocusing, so only the sounds of the moment are recorded with D3400's internal mic. Create time-lapse videos, ultra-smooth slow motion sequences and more.
Catch every moment
Press and hold the D3400's shutter button and capture 5 FPS continuously with full autofocus performance. Transform a moment of fast action into a thrilling photo sequence, then share it through SnapBridge for all to see.
Focus on the details
Nikon cameras have some of the finest autofocus systems available. The D3400's AF system quickly acquires your subject and provides precise focus, even during high-speed shooting and low-light situations.
Change your perspective
Legendary NIKKOR lenses have long been the benchmark of optical excellence, and every lens offers an inspiring new view of the world. Grow your capabilities.
Discover your style
Nikon's exciting Picture Controls make it easy to get creative with your photos and videos. Choose from six preset options that enhance the color and tonal characteristics of your images, then customize selections for your own personal style.
The Nikon SnapBridge application must be installed on a compatible smart device before it can be used with this camera.
- SnapBridge App Requirements
- Android 5.0 or later or 6.0.1 or later
- A device with Bluetooth 4.0 or later (i.e., a device that supports Bluetooth Smart Ready/Low Energy) is required.
- Type: Single-lens reflex digital camera
- Lens Mount: Nikon F bayonet mount
- Picture Angle: Nikon DX format (Effective picture angle 1.5x [Approx.] conversion factor)
- Effective Pixels (Megapixels): 24.2 million
- Sensor Size: 23.5mm x 15.6mm
- Image Sensor Format: DX
- Image Sensor Type: CMOS
- Total Pixels: 24.7 million
- Dust-Reduction System: Image Dust Off reference data (optional Capture NX-D software required)
- Dust-Off Reference Photo: Yes
- Image Area (pixels): DX-format - (L) 6,000 x 4,000 / (M) 4,496 x 3,000 / (S) 2,992 x 2,000
File Format Still Images
- Compressed 12-bit NEF (RAW)
- JPEG: JPEG-Baseline Compliant with fine (approx 1:4), Normal (approx 1:8) or Basic (approx 1:16) Compression
- NEF (RAW) + JPEG: Single Photograph Recorded in both NEF (RAW) and JPEG Formats
- Card Slot: 1 Secure Digital (SD)
- Compliant with DCF (Design Rule for Camera File System) 2.0
- DPOF (Digital Print Order Format)
- EXIF 2.3 (Exchangeable Image File Format for Digital Still Cameras)
- Viewfinder: Eye-level Pentamirror Single-Lens Reflex viewfinder
- Viewfinder Frame Coverage: 95% Horizontal / 95% Vertical (Approx.)
- Viewfinder Magnification: 0.85x (Approx.)
- Viewfinder Eyepoint: 18mm (-1.0m??)
- Viewfinder Diopter Adjustment: -1.7 to + 0.5m??
- Focusing Screen: Type B BriteView Clear Matte Mark VII screen
- Reflex Mirror: Quick-return type
- Lens Aperture: Instant-return type
- Lens Compatibility at a Glance***: Autofocus is available with AF-P and type E and G AF-S lenses
- This camera supports autofocus with AF-P and type E and G AF-S lenses only.
- AF NIKKOR for F3AF not Supported.
- AI-P NIKKOR: All Functions supported except autofocus and 3D Color Matrix Metering II.
- Electronic rangefinder can be used if Maximum Aperture is f/5.6 or Faster.
- IX NIKKOR lenses cannot be used.
- Non-CPU: Autofocus not supported. Can be used in mode M, but exposure meter does not function.
- Other AF NIKKOR: All Functions Supported Except 3D Color Matrix Metering II.
- Type D PC NIKKOR: All Functions Supported Except Autofocus and some Shooting Modes.
- Type G or D AF NIKKOR not equipped with an autofocus motor: all functions supported except autofocus.
- Shutter Type: Electronically controlled vertical-travel focal-plane
- Shutter Speed: 1/4000 to 30 sec.
- Fastest Shutter Speed: 1/4000 sec.
- Slowest Shutter Speed: 30 sec.
- Flash Sync Speed: Up to 1/200 sec.
Frame Advance Rate: Up to 5 fps (manual focus, mode M or S, shutter speed 1/250 sec or faster, and other settings at default values
Top Continuous Shooting Speed at full resolution: 5 frames per second
Self-timer: 2, 5, 10, 20 sec.; 1 to 9 exposures / Timer duration electronically controlled
Shutter Release Modes
- Delayed Remote
- Quick Response Remote Mode
- Quiet shutter-release
- Self-timer Mode
- Single-frame [S] mode
- Exposure Metering System: TTL exposure metering using 420-pixel RGB sensor
- Center-weighted: Weight of 75% given to 8 mm circle in center of frame
- Matrix: 3D color matrix metering II (type E and G lenses); color matrix metering II (other CPU lenses)
- Spot: Meters 3.5 mm circle (about 2.5% of frame) centered on selected focus point
- 0 to 20 EV (Matrix or center-weighted metering at ISO 100 equivalent, f/1.4 lens, at 20?C/68?F)
- 2 to 20 EV (Spot metering at ISO 100 equivalent, f/1.4 lens at 20?C/68?F)
- Exposure Meter Coupling: CPU
- Aperture-Priority (A)
- Auto (flash off)
- Manual (M)
- Programmed Auto with flexible Program (P)
- Shutter-Priority Auto (S)
- Auto [Flash Off]
- Night Portrait
- Special Effects Modes (night vision; super vivid; pop; photo illustration; toy camera effect; miniature effect; selective color; silhouette; high key; low key)
Exposure Compensation: +/-5 EV in increments of 1/3 EV in P, S, A, M, Scene, and Night Vision modes
Exposure Lock: Luminosity locked at detected value with AE-L/AF-L button
- Selected Picture Control can be Modified
- ISO Sensitivity: ISO 100 - 25,600
- Lowest Standard ISO Sensitivity: 100
- Highest Standard ISO Sensitivity: 25,600
High ISO Noise Reduction
Active D-Lighting: On / Off
- Single-Point AF Mode: Yes
- Dynamic AF Mode: Number of AF points: 11 (3D-tracking)
- Auto-Area AF Mode: Yes
- Autofocus System: Nikon Multi-CAM 1000 autofocus sensor module with TTL phase detection
- Detection Range: -1 to 19 EV (ISO 100, 68?F/20?C)
- Lens Servo: Autofocus (AF): Single-servo AF (AF-S); Continuous-servo AF (AF-C); auto AF-S/AF-C selection (AF-A); predictive focus tracking activated automatically according to subject status, Manual focus (MF): Electronic rangefinder can be used
- Focus Lock: Focus can be locked by pressing AE-L/AF-L button, Focus can be locked by pressing shutter-release button halfway (single-servo AF)
- Auto AF-S/AF-C selection (AF-A)
- Continuous-servo (AF-C)
- Face-Priority AF available in Live View only and D-Movie only
- Full-time Servo (AF-A) available in Live View only and D-Movie only
- Manual (M) with electronic rangefinder
- Normal area available in Live View and D-Movie only
- Predictive focus tracking activated automatically according to subject status
- Single-servo AF (AF-S)
- Wide area available in Live View and D-Movie only
Maximum Autofocus Areas/Points: 11
Autofocus Sensitivity: -1 to +19 EV (ISO 100, 20?C/68?F)
- Built-in Flash: Yes
- X-Sync Speed: 1/200
- Flash Control: TTL: i-TTL flash control using 420-pixel RGB sensor is available with built-in flash; i-TTL balanced fill-flash for digital SLR is used with matrix and center-weighted metering, standard i-TTL flash for digital SLR with spot metering
Flash Sync Modes
- Auto with red-eye reduction
- Auto slow sync
- Auto slow sync with red-eye reduction
- Rear-curtain sync
- Rear-curtain with slow sync
- Red-Eye reduction
- Red-Eye reduction with slow sync
- Slow sync
Flash Compensation: Can be adjusted by -3 to +1 EV in increments of 1/3 EV in P, S, A, M, and scene modes
Flash-ready Indicator: Lights when built-in flash or optional flash unit is fully charged; flashes after flash is fired at full output
Accessory Shoe: Yes
Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS): CLS Supported
Flash Sync Terminal: Sync Terminal Adapter AS-15 (available separately)
- Direct Sunlight
- Fluorescent (7 types)
- Preset Manual
- Live View Shooting :Yes
- Live View Lens Servo: Autofocus (AF): Single-servo AF (AF-S); full-time-servo AF (AF-F), Manual focus (MF)
Live View AF-Area Mode
- Face-priority AF
- Wide-area AF
- Normal-area AF
- Subject-tracking AF
Live View Autofocus: Contrast-detect AF anywhere in frame (camera selects focus point automatically when face-priority AF or subject-tracking AF is selected)
Live View Scene Auto Selector: Auto mode, Auto (flash off) mode
- Movie Metering: TTL exposure metering using main image sensor
- Movie Maximum Recording Time: 20 minutes at highest quality, 29 minutes 59 seconds at normal quality
- Movie File Format: MOV
- Movie Video Compression: H.264/MPEG-4 Advanced Video Coding
- Movie Audio Recording Format: Linear PCM
- Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 60 fps
- Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 50 fps
- Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 30 fps
- Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 25 fps
- Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 24 fps
- HD 1,280x720 / 60 fps
- HD 1,280x720 / 50 fps
- Built-in microphone, monaural
- Microphone sensitivity can be adjusted
- Monitor Size: 3.0 in. diagonal
- Monitor Resolution: 921,000 Dots
- Monitor Type: Wide Viewing Angle TFT-LCD
- Monitor Angle of View: 170 -degree wide-viewing angle
- Monitor Adjustments: Brightness adjustment
- Auto Image Rotation
- Full-Frame and Thumbnail (4, 9, or 72 images or calendar)
- Histogram Display
- Image Comment
- Location Display
- Movie Playback
- Photo Information
- Picture Rating
- Playback Face Zoom
- Playback with Zoom
- Playback Zoom Cropping
In-Camera Image Editing
- Color Outline
- Color Sketch
- Distortion Control
- Filter Effects
- Image Overlay
- Miniature Effect
- NEF (RAW) Processing
- Perspective Control
- Photo Illustration
- Quick Retouch
- Red-Eye Correction
- Selective Color
- Interface: HDMI output: Type C mini-pin HDMI connector, Hi-Speed USB; connection to built-in USB port is recommended
- Wi-Fi Functionality: Eye-Fi Compatible
- Bluetooth: Yes
- Bluetooth Specification: Version 4.1
- Brazilian Portuguese
- Chinese (Simplified and Traditional)
Date, Time and Daylight Savings Time Settings: Yes
World Time Setting: Yes
- Battery / Batteries: EN-EL14a Rechargeable Li-ion Battery
- Battery Life (shots per charge): 1,200 shots (CIPA)
- AC Adapter; EH-5b AC Adapter; requires EP-5A Power Connector (available separately)
- Battery ChargerL: MH-24 Quick Charger
- Tripod Socket: 1/4 in.
- Approx. Dimensions (Width x Height x Depth): 4.9 in. (124 mm) x 3.9 in. (98 mm) x 3.0 in. (75.5 mm)
- Approx. Weight: 14 oz. (395 g) camera body only
- Operating Environment: 0?40 ?C (+32?104 ?F), Less than 85% (no condensation)
This Kit Includes:
64GB Class 10 UHS-1 SDXC Memory Card Up to 45MB/s (GS-SDXCU164G-R)
This high-performance memory card features read speeds of up to 45 MB/s for quickly transferring high-resolution photos and videos and is UHS-1 enabled to capture Full HD video.
Our Price: $19.95
Wide Angle Lens, Memory Card Wallet, Mini Tripod, Cleaning Kit and More
Includes: Microfiber cloth, 3 pieces cleaning kit, memory card wallet, mini tripod,Stepping Ring, screen protectors, card reader, 58mm wide angle lens, 58mm 2x telephoto lens
Our Price: $49.99
12-inch Rubberized Spider Tripod, Large (Red)
360 degree flexible legs and feet
Can grip almost any surface
Release lock keeps camera securely attached
Our Price: $12.99
Wireless Shutter Release Remote Control for Canon,Nikon,Sony
Universal Wireless Shutter Release Remote Control
Our Price: $8.99
Bounce Zoom Slave Flash Enhance Photos, Colors & Saturation
Ideal for Digital & SLR cameras
Great light source for indoor & outdoor photography
Lightweight & compact design
Uses 2 AA batteries (not included)
1-year limited warranty
Our Price: $10.99
55mm UV, Polarizer & FLD Deluxe Filter kit (set of 3 + carrying case)
Three basic filters that will be used often, giving you the images you love! The UV will protect your camera lens, the FLD will correct unbalanced indoor lighting, and the Polarizer will act as "sunglasses" in bright conditions producing vibrant colors.
Our Price: $8.29
Professional Blower - Dust Removal System
Easily remove dust and dirt particles from your electronic equipment
Our Price: $9.99
LCD/Lens Cleaning Pen & Microfiber cloth
Clean & Protect your Lens or LCD.
Our Price: $6.49
Deluxe Digital SLR Camera Case - Gadget Bag
Our Price: $34.95
1 Piece Micro Fiber Cloth
XT1FC comes complete with 1 high quality micro fiber cloths to clean and protect your precious equipment. Perfect to clean LCD screens, lenses and all high-tech optics.
Our Price: $7.99
D3400 24.2 MP DSLR Camera w/ AF-P DX 18-55mm VR Lens Kit (Black)
Kit includes the D3400 DSLR and the ultra-compact AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens. Shoot sharp detailed shots and Full HD videos. The lens features Vibration Reduction for the sharpest handheld photos and videos.
Our Price: $646.95