Bright f/2.0 - 4.0 lens for brilliant quality images
The NIKKOR lens maintains high brightness throughout the 7.1x zoom range for superior low-light performance. Quality optics using ED glass faithfully capture even the "atmosphere" of any scene and contribute to an overall improvement in resolution. The seven-blade iris diaphragm enables beautifully de-focused backgrounds. Lens-shift VR image stabilization provides effective compensation for camera shake equivalent to a shutter speed increase of approximately four stops. And there is a built-in ND filter that enables a three-stop decrease in shutter speed, helping enhance image quality in a variety of scenes.
Back-illuminated 1/1.7-inch CMOS image sensor goes the extra step
12.2 effective megapixels deliver pristine, high-resolution images. The Back-illuminated CMOS image sensor optimizes performance when shooting at night, for beautiful results with fine details. Also helping you nail every shot is high-speed continuous shooting at up to 8-fps (approx.) for full-resolution (4000 x 3000) images*.
Multiple manual settings for precise control
Turn the Mode dial to access the P/S/A/M exposure modes. Often used functions can be assigned to the Function button. Manual exposure control (in 1/3 EV steps within +/-3 EV) and AE/AF lock are also available.
Nikon Creative Lighting System for illuminating shots
You can use this camera's built-in flash as the "commander" to control compatible Speedlights*. This wireless, synchronized external flash operation enables creative lighting for clearer images or to achieve dramatic shadows.
* Compatible Speedlight models: SB-910, SB-900, SB-800, SB-700, and SB-600
Movie custom setting with full HD support
Movie custom setting allows you to control shutter speed, aperture, ISO sensitivity, as well as COOLPIX Picture Control, so you can shoot movies with the exact visual effect you want. Plus, crisp and clear recordings are assured thanks to the full HD 1080p resolution with stereo sound, which can be enjoyed on new high definition TVs with HDMI connectivity*.
* HDMI cable available separately
- 7.5 cm (3-in.) vari-angle high-resolution 921k-dot (approx.) LCD
- EXPEED C2 image-processing engine
- High quality body with magnesium alloy cover
- COOLPIX Picture Control
- Enhanced NRW (RAW) file format support
- AE Bracketing of up to 5 frames
- Accessory terminal for Remote cord and GPS unit (GP-1) connection and external microphone input
- Optional lens hood and remote control available
- Eye-Fi card support
Notes: Full HD refers to the ability to record movies in 1080p format. Images shown on this page are simulated.
- 1/1.7-in. type CMOS; total pixels: approx. 12.76 million
- 7.1x optical zoom, NIKKOR lens; 6.0-42.8 mm (35mm  format equivalent: 28-200 mm); f/2-4
Digital zoom magnification
- Up to 4x (35mm  format equivalent: approx. 800 mm)
Vibration Reduction (VR)
- [W]: Approx. 50 cm (1 ft 8 in.) to 8, Macro close-up mode: 2 cm (0.8 in.) to 8
- 7.5 cm (3-in.), approx. 921k-dot, wide-viewing angle, vari-angle TFT LCD monitor with anti-reflection coating
- SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card*2
Image size (pixels)
- 12M [4000 x 3000], 8M [3264 x 2448], 4M [2272 x 1704], 2M [1600 x 1200], VGA [640 x 480], 3:2 [3984 x 2656], 16:9 9M [3968 x 2232], 1:1 [3000 x 3000]
ISO sensitivity (Standard output sensitivity)*3
- ISO 80-1600, ISO 3200/Hi 1 (equivalent to 6400); (Manual setting is enabled in P/S/A/M exposure modes)
- Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL14 (supplied), Battery Charger MH-24 (supplied), AC Adapter EH-5b (used in combination with the Power Connector EP-5A) (optional)
Battery life of still shooting*4
- Approx. 330 shots with EN-EL14 battery
Dimensions (W x H x D)
- Approx. 118.5 x 72.5 x 50.4 mm (4.7 x 2.9 x 2.0 in.) excluding projections*5
- Approx. 392 g (13.9 oz.) with battery and SD memory card*5
- Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL14, Battery Charger MH-24, USB Cable UC-E17, Audio Video Cable EG-CP16, Camera Strap, ViewNX2 CD
- Speedlights (SB-910, SB-800, SB-700, SB-600, SB-400, SB-R200*7), Wireless Speedlight Commander SU-800, Lens Hood HN-CP17, 40.5mm screw-on filter 40.5 NC, Stereo Microphone ME-1, Hand Strap AH-CP1, Remote Control ML-L3, Remote Cord MC-DC2, GPS Unit GP-1
*1All distances measured from center of front surface of lens.
*2Not compatible with Multi Media Cards (MMC).
*3Depending on the conditions, certain settings may not be configured.
*4Based on CIPA industry standard for measuring life of camera batteries. Measured at 23?C (+/-3?C); zoom adjusted with each shot, built-in flash fired with every other shot, image mode set to Normal.
*5Method of noting dimensions and weight is in accordance with CIPA DCG-002-2012 guideline.
*6Supplied accessories may differ by country or area.
*7Speedlight used for remote flash. Attachment Ring SX-1 cannot be mounted on this camera. To use the SB-R200, it must be attached to the Speedlight Stand AS-20.
Specifications are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer. August 2012.