This is a new external flash unit that provides i-TTL flash operation in a compact and lightweight body at an affordable price. The SB-400 offers a guide number of 98.4 feet / 30m (ISO 200), and effortless bounce flash function. The SB-400 is a flash unit for entry-level SLR users, but it is also useful for D2 series digital camera users as a handy flash unit.
The SB-400 has been developed to provide an entry-level external flash unit which is compatible with i-TTL flash operation. In combination with cameras compatible with Nikon Creative Lighting System the SB-400 is controlled in i-TTL and D40's M (manual) mode.Its flash head can be tilted in 4 steps, horizontal, 60, 75 and 90 degrees, and has a flash shooting distance range from 0.6m to 20m(depends on the ISO setting). Slow Sync, Red-eye Reduction and other flash modes can also be set on the camera body. With the SB-400, users can easily enjoy brighter and more natural lighting for better flash pictures.
- Compact, lightweight Speedlight unit.
- Simple, intuitive operation; Put it on, turn it on and shoot!
- Utilizes Nikon's i-TTL intelligent flash.
- Operates on two AA-size (1.5V) batteries.
- Bounce capabilities in 4 steps up to 90 degrees.
- Approximate guide number of 98.4 feet at ISO 200 (at 18mm zoom head setting).
- Flash shooting distance range from 2 and up to 66 feet
- Compatible with all Nikon Creative Lighting System cameras.
- Type Automatic Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor (IGBT) and series circuitry
- Guide Number 98.4/30 (ISO 200, ft/m), 69/21 (ISO 100, ft/m)
- Bounce Capability Flash head tilts up to 90? with click-stops at 0?, 60?, 75?, 90?.
- Auto Settings i-TTL, M (manual, only with the D40)
- Angle of Coverage Light distribution covers an 18mm lens when mounted on a Nikon DX format camera and a 27mm lens when mounted on an F6
- Recycle Time Approx. 3.9 seconds with AA Alkaline manganese batteries, 4.2 seconds with AA Lithium batteries
- Power Source 2 AA-size batteries
- Dimensions (W x H x D) Approx. 66 x 56.5 x 80mm (2.6 x 2.2 x 3.1 in.)
- Weight Approx. 127g (4.5 oz.)
- Minimum Number of Flashes Approx. 140 (Alkaline) 250 (Lithium)
- Flash exposure control set on the camera: Slow-sync, Red-eye reduction, Red-eye reduction in slow sync, Rear-curtain sync flash, FV Lock flash, manual flash