The world's first 3D Vertical NAND (V-NAND) SSD- the Samsung SSD 850 Pro
The Samsung 850 PRO SSD redefines storage with the world's first drive based on 3D VNAND flash, offering exceptional read/write performance, reliability and power management efficiency. The 850 Pro delivers up to 2x the speed, density and endurance of conventional flash. The next leading SSD for performance, endurance and energy efficiency.
What is V-NAND and how does it differ from existing technology?
Samsung's flash memory is fabricated using an innovative 3D V-NAND architecture, which stacks 32 cell layers on top of one another. The result is higher density and higher performance using a smaller footprint and a breakthrough in overcoming the density limits of conventional planar NAND.
An SSD that won't quit before you do
With twice the endurance of the previous model, the 850 PRO will keep working as long as you do. Samsung's V-NAND technology is built to handle a minimum of 150 Terabytes Written (TBW) over the lifetime of the drive, which equates to a 40 GB daily read/write workload over a 10-year period. Plus, it comes with the industry's top-level ten-year limited warranty.
Boost performance with an industry-leading 3D VNAND SSD
Powered by Samsung's cutting-edge 3D V-NAND technology, the NAND flash memory delivers class-leading read and write performance for both sequential and random workloads.
Work longer with high-efficiency innovation
The efficient design of the 850 PRO enables you work longer and more productively. Boasting the lowest power consumption of any SSD when in full use, the 850 PRO uses less energy (need source) while maintaining class-leading performance. The 850 PRO fully supports Device Sleep mode for Ultrabook, consuming only 2 milliwats (2mw) of power in its ultra low power state. Plus, its low power DDR2 cache memory provides high performance while consuming up to 30 percent less power when active and up to 93 percent less power when idle than typical DDR2 or DDR3 memory.
Safeguard precious data without sacrificing performance
Protect your PC's hardware and personal data when you take your laptop on the road with the 850 PRO's Self-Encrypting Drive (SED) technology. The drive includes an AES-256-bit hardware-based, full disk encryption engine that secures your data without the performance loss often experienced with software-based encryption. The 850 PRO's advanced security complies with the TCG Opal v2.0 standard and is compatible with the Microsoft eDrive IEEE 1667 protocol. Plus, you can quickly erase data or sanitize your drive with the crypto erase feature.
Protect your PC from overheating with Dynamic Thermal Guard protection
The 850 PRO includes Dynamic Thermal Guard protection, which sustains performance while minimizing the risk of overheating. This feature monitors and maintains the drive's optimal operating temperature with a throttle feature that automatically drops the SSD's temperature to protect your data while ensuring the responsiveness you expect.
- Features sequential read and write performance up to 550 megabytes per second (MB/s) and 470MB/s respectively, and random read and write input/output operations-per-second (IOPS) up to 100,000 and 90,000 each
- Class-leading performance - enables you to boot up your computer in as little as 15 seconds
- Energy efficient - Features Device Sleep mode for Ultranotebooks and improves battery life by up to 45 minutes vs. standard hard drives
- Worry-free data security with AES 256-bit encryption, Microsoft Bitlocker and TCG / Opal 2.0 support
- 100-percent genuine Samsung components from the number 1 memory manufacturer in the world
- 5th-generation 3-Core Samsung MEX Controller ensures sustained performance under the most punishing conditions
- Enhanced endurance and reliability - Backed by an industry-leading 10-year limited warranty and 150TBW rating