An advanced optical design with Sony's original Nano AR Coating technology effectively suppresses reflections for notably enhanced overall image quality and minimized aberration as well as high contrast for excellent resolution throughout the zoom range. AF tracking is approximately 4x faster than the previous model, and a new dust and moisture resistant design maximizes reliability. An excellent choice for outdoor sports and wildlife, while a 4 foot (1.2 meter) minimum focus makes it useful for portraits and flowers as well.
ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass / Super ED glass
As focal lengths get longer, lenses built with conventional optical glass have difficulties with chromatic aberration, and as a result images suffer from lower contrast, lower color quality, and lower resolution. To counter such problems, ED glass was developed and is included in select lenses. It dramatically improves chromatic aberration at telephoto ranges, and provides superior contrast across the entire image, even at large aperture settings. Super ED glass provides enhanced compensation for chromatic aberration.
SSM (Super Sonic wave Motor)
SSM is a piezoelectric motor that contributes to smooth and silent AF operation. The motor produces high torque at slow rotation, and provides immediate start and stop responses. It is also extremely quiet, which helps keep autofocusing silent. Lenses that feature SSM also include a position-sensitive detector to directly detect the amount of lens rotation, a factor that improves AF precision overall.
In general, if an aperture uses 7 or 9 aperture blades, then the shape of the aperture becomes a 7-sided or 9-sided polygon as the aperture is made smaller. However, this has a certain undesirable effect in that the defocusing of point light sources appears polygonal and not circular. a lenses overcome this problem through a unique design that keeps the aperture almost perfectly circular from its wide-open setting to when it is closed by 2 stops. Smoother, more natural defocusing can be obtained as a result.
Focus hold button
Once you've adjusted focus to where you want it, pressing this button on the lens barrel will keep the lens locked to that focusing distance. The preview function can also be assigned to this button through the camera's custom settings.
Focus range limiter
This function allows you to set a limit on the focusing range which can save you time during auto focus operation - as the lens will not 'hunt' through the entire focusing range. In macro lenses, this limit can be on either the near or far range. Certain lenses set the limit on far ranges only, while others can be set either to a far range or to a range that you specify yourself.
Nano AR Coating
Original Sony Nano AR Coating technology produces a lens coating that features a precisely defined regular nano-structure that allows accurate light transmission while effectively suppressing reflections that can cause flare and ghosting. The reflection suppression characteristics of the Nano AR Coating are superior to conventional anti-reflective coatings, including coatings that use an irregular nano-structure, providing a notable improvement in clarity, contrast, and overall image quality.
ADI flash metering
Advanced Distance Integration provides precise distance information through the lens distance encoder to the built-in flash, or certain Sony external flashes (HVL-F60M, HVL-F43AM, HVL-F32M, HVL-F20M). ADI provides automatic metering that is virtually unaffected by reflectance or overly dark subjects or backgrounds, yeilding a more reliable exposure from the flash.
- G Series 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM II Telephoto
- Nano AR Coating with nano-precision structure
- High-performance AF with enhanced object-tracking
- 105-450mm (35mm equivalent) w/ APS-C format cameras
- Extra-Low Dispersion (ED) glass element
- 0.25x maximum magnification
- Smooth manual focusing with easy-grip ring
- Internal focus design for fast response
- Circular aperture for smooth defocus effects
- Supplied carrying case and petal shaped lens hood
- Lens Type: Telephoto Zoom Lens
- Lens Mount Type: Sony A-mount (35mm full frame)
- Aperture (Max.): f/4.5-5.6
- Aperture (Min.): f/22-29
- Focal Length (35mm equivalent): 35mm equivalent focal length (APS-C) 105 ? 450 mm
- Filter Diameter: 62 mm
- Lens Groups-Elements: 16 elements in 12 groups
- Minimum Focus Distance: 3.94' 1.2m
- Angle of View: 23 degrees-5 degrees 20' (APS-C) 34 degrees -8 degrees 10' (35mm)
- Aperture Blade: 9 blades (Circular aperture)
- Distance Encoder: Yes
- Lens Weight: 26.5 oz (750g)
- Maximum Magnification: x 0.25
- Steady Shot Mode:Active: Body-integrated Image Stabilization
Weights and Measurements
- Dimensions (Approx.): 3-1/4 x 5-3/8" (82.5 x 135.5mm)
- Weight (Approx.): 26.5 oz (750g)