Sophisticated Technology for Still Images and Movies.
Whether the action is fast or slow, close up or far away, you'll always get the shot you want with the PowerShot SX10 IS. This camera puts you on the cutting edge of advanced technology, with an incredibly powerful 20x Optical Zoom, 10-megapixel resolution, and new DIGIC 4 Image Processor for high-performance face and motion detection.
Stay close to the action with a 20x Optical Zoom, wide-angle lens and Optical Image Stabilizer. Improved speed and quiet zooming means you never have to miss a shot.
The PowerShot SX10 IS is equipped with a 20x Optical Zoom lens with a focal length of 5.0-100mm (35mm film equivalent: 28-560mm) that allows you to shoot any scene from wide-angle to telephoto. The camera uses a VCM (Voice Coil Motor) for high-speed, quiet, energy-efficient lens movement with precise control. Focal length is conveniently indicated on the lens barrel.
The lens is optimized to fully exploit its zoom length and wide shooting angle in concert with the camera's high 10.0-megapixel resolution. UD glass effectively suppresses chromatic aberration, while enhanced negative refractive power ensures that distortion at the wide-angle is also corrected. Further aberration is controlled with the inclusion of a double-sided aspherical glass-molded lens and ultra-high refraction index lens.
The SX10 IS is equipped with Canon's acclaimed Optical Image Stabilizer Technology that automatically detects and corrects camera shake - one of the leading causes of fuzzy or blurred shots. Even when zoomed in, you can get the steady, crisp, brilliant images you'll be proud to shoot and share. And Canon's Optical Image Stabilizer Technology is convenient to use. It functions perfectly with or without a flash.
Powerful 10.0 Megapixel resolution for greater printing and editing.
The PowerShot SX10 IS is equipped with many of the same features as a higher-end camera: an ultra-powerful zoom, eye-popping resolution and advanced picture-improving technology. 10.0 megapixels of resolution give your photography incomparable depth and ensure that any section of any shot can be enlarged and cropped with no loss in quality when you edit the image and even in large printout. It creates crisp, clear 13" x 19" posters.
Large 2.5-inch Vari-angle LCD for flexible viewing at nearly every angle, plus a viewfinder for more shooting options.
The camera's 2.5-inch LCD screen gives you the big picture, whether you're shooting, reviewing or showing off your images. This high-resolution screen offers a crisp, clear picture to make shooting, playback and using the camera's menu functions especially convenient. Clear and bright, it also features Night Display for easy viewing in low light. It also has an electronic viewfinder that provides sharp images when you shoot close-up with Super Macro shooting mode.
New DIGIC 4 Image Processor improves Face Detection, adds Servo AF, Face Detection Self-Timer and Intelligent Contrast Correction for greater flexibility.
DIGIC 4 Image Processor
Canon's proprietary DIGIC Image Processors have long set its cameras apart from the competition, and the new DIGIC 4 sets the bar even higher. Faster, more accurate noise reduction delivers better image quality, even at high ISO speeds.
iSAPS Technology is an entirely original scene-recognition technology developed for digital cameras by Canon. Using an internal database of thousands of different photos, iSAPS works with the advanced DIGIC 4 Image Processor to improve focus speed and accuracy, as well as exposure and white balance.
A new Face Self-Timer automatically detects an increase in the number of faces and makes the appropriate adjustments. For instance, to include photographer's face in a group shot, there's no need to rush in. Just put the camera on a stand or tripod, and specify Face Self-Timer, and the camera will wait for the photographer's face to get on-camera before it takes the shot. Motion Detection now tracks moving subjects in a much larger range, and the new Servo AF retains focus on a moving subject after the shutter button is pressed halfway - allowing you to wait for the perfect shot without refocusing. Also, Face Detection and Motion Detection are markedly improved.
Intelligent Contrast Correction
DIGIC 4 also makes possible the new i-Contrast (Intelligent Contrast Correction) system, which controls the compensation level in pixel units to brighten dark areas while leaving bright areas unchanged for better images where the main subject is dark, and more natural transition. The PowerShot SX10 IS can even use i-Contrast in playback mode to adjust images that were shot without the setting activated.
Red-eye Correction provides three options for removing red-eye from subjects in flash pictures.
1) The Red-eye Correction during shooting actually identifies and corrects red-eye in human subjects as pictures are taken.
2) The SX10 IS can be set to automatically detect and correct red-eye during image playback.
3) You can manually locate any red eyes in a scene during image playback on the LCD screen, and command the camera to remove them.
Life doesn't give you second chances to capture special times. That's why the SX10 IS features ISO 1600 and High ISO Auto settings that reduce the effects of camera shake and sharpen subjects in low-light situations, giving you greater shooting flexibility. ISO can be expanded to 3200 when you select ISO 3200 Special Scene mode.
MovieSnap mode lets you capture high-resolution still images while shooting a movie. Improved movie format for longer movie lengths.
With Movie Snap, you'll never miss a perfect still shot just because you're in the middle of shooting a movie. Simply press the shutter to record a high-resolution still.
The PowerShot SX10 IS supports the MOV video format which reduces data volume by approximately 60%. This allows you to record longer movies while maintaining optimal image quality.
A wide range of shooting modes to capture anything.
Now you're free to concentrate on what really counts - your subject. With the large, simple-to-operate Mode Dial, all you have to do is turn to the setting that best matches the scene you're viewing through the lens. The PowerShot SX10 IS does the rest. It chooses the perfect exposure, aperture and flash. Or, if you want to flex your creative muscles, choose Manual Control and do it all yourself. You've got Special Scenes Modes to handle a wide range of common shooting situations - effortlessly.
With 24 Shooting Modes including 11 Special Scene Modes, you're ready for whatever shot comes your way.
Print/Share Button for easy direct printing and downloading, plus ID Photo Print and Movie Print with select PIXMA Photo Printers and SELPHY Compact Photo Printers.
The PowerShot SX10 IS's Print/Share button makes direct printing easier than ever. Simply connect the SX10 IS to a Canon PIXMA Photo Printer or SELPHY Compact Photo Printer or any PictBridge compatible photo printer, press the lighted Print/Share button and print! Also use the Print/Share button to transfer images to a computer (Windows and Macintosh).
Type of Camera
- Type of Camera
- Compact digital still camera with built-in flash, 20x Optical/4x Digital/80x
- Combined Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer System
Image Capture Device
- Type: 10.0 Megapixel, 1/2.3-inch type Charge Coupled Device (CCD)
- Total Pixels: Approx. 10.3 Megapixels
- Effective Pixels: Approx. 10.0 Megapixels
- Focal Length: 5.0-100mm f/2.8-5.7 (35mm film equivalent: 28-560mm)
- Digital Zoom: 4x
- Focusing Range:
- Normal: 1.6 ft./50cm-infinity (W), 3.3 ft./1m-infinity (T)
- Macro: 0.39 in.-1.6 ft./1-50cm (W)
- Super macro: 0-3.9 in./0-10cm (W)
- Autofocus System: TTL Autofocus
Viewfinder & Monitor
- Viewfinder: TFT color
- LCD Monitor: 2.5-inch TFT color vari-angle LCD with wide viewing angle
- LCD Pixels: Approx. 230,000 pixels
- LCD Coverage: 100%
Aperture and Shutter
- Maximum Aperture: f/2.8 (W) - f/5.7 (T)
- Shutter Speed: 15-1/3200 sec. (settable in Tv and M)
- ISO Sensitivity: Auto, High ISO Auto, ISO 80/100/200/400/800/1600 equivalent (Standard output sensitivity. Recommended exposure index)
- Light Metering Method: Evaluative*, Center-weighted average, Spot**
* Control to incorporate facial brightness in Face Detection AF 13/20
** Metering frame is fixed to the center/linked to AF frame
- Exposure Control Method: Program AE, i-Contrast, Manual; AE Lock, Program Shift, Safety Shift, Auto ISO Shift
- Exposure Compensation: +/-2 stops in 1/3-stop increments
- White Balance Control: Auto, Preset (Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Flash), Custom
- Built-in Flash: Auto, Auto w/ Red-eye Reduction, Flash On, Flash On w/ Red-eye Reduction, Flash Off; FE lock, Safety FE, Slow Synchro
- Flash Range: 1.0-17.0 ft./30cm-5.2m (W), 3.3-9.2 ft./1.0-2.8m (T) (when sensitivity is set to ISO Auto)
- Recycling Time: 12 sec. or less (battery voltage=6.0V)
- Flash Exposure Compensation: +/-2 stops in 1/3-stop increments
- Shooting Modes: Auto, P, Av, Tv, M, C, Portrait, Landscape, Sports, Special Scene (Foliage, Snow, Beach, Sunset, Fireworks, Aquarium, Night Scene, Indoor, ISO 3200, Color Accent, Color Swap), Super Macro, Night Snapshot, Stitch Assist, Movie
- Photo Effects: My Colors - Vivid, Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, Vivid Red, Neutral, Sepia, Black & White, Positive Film, Lighter Skin Tone, Darker Skin Tone, Custom
- Self-Timer: Activates shutter after an approx. 2-sec./10-sec. delay, Face Self-Timer, Custom
- Wireless Control: N/A
- Continuous Shooting: Normal: approx. 1.4 fps; AF: approx. 0.7 fps; LV: approx. 0.8 fps (Large/Fine)
- Storage Media: SD/SDHC Memory Card, MultiMediaCard, MMC Plus Card, HC MMC Plus Card
- File Format: Design rule for camera file system, DPOF Version 1.1
- Image Compression: Normal, Fine, SuperFine
- JPEG Compression Mode:
- Still Image: Exif 2.2 (JPEG)
- Movie: MOV (Image: H.264; Audio: Linear PCM (Stereo))
- Number of Recording Pixels:
- Still Image: 3,648 x 2,736 (Large), 2,816 x 2,112 (Medium 1), 2,272 x 1,704 (Medium 2), 1,600 x 1,200 (Medium 3/Date Stamp), 640 x 480 (Small), 3,648 x 2,048 (Widescreen)
- Movie: 640 x 480 (30 fps/30 fps LP), 320 x 240 (30 fps) available up to 4GB or 60 minutes
- Playback Modes File:
- Still Image: Single, Magnification (approx. 2x-10x), Jump, Auto Rotate, Rotate, Resume, My Category, Transition Effects, Histogram, Index (9 thumbnails), Over Exposure Warning, Slide Show, Red-eye Correction, Trimming, Resize, Image Inspection Tool, i-Contrast;
- Movie: Normal Playback, Special Playback, Editing, Auto Rotate, Resume
- Erase Modes:
- Still Image: single image, all images
- Movie: part of movie, all of movie part of movie, all of movie
- Computer Interface: USB 2.0 Hi-Speed (mini-B jack)
- Video Out: NTSC/PAL
- Audio Out: Stereo
- Other: Memory card slot; direct connection to Canon and SELPHY Compact Photo Printers, PIXMA Photo Printers and PictBridge-compatible printers via camera's USB 2.0 Hi- Speed cable
- Power Source:
- AA-size Alkaline Battery (x4)
- Rechargeable AA-size Ni-MH Battery (x4)
- Compact Power Adapter CA-PS700 (optional)
- Shooting Capacity: Still Image: approx. 340 shots (AA-size Alkaline Battery), approx. 600 shots (AA-size Ni-MH Battery)*
* LCD screen on. The above figures comply with CIPA testing standards and apply when fully-charged batteries are used.
- Playback Time: Approx. 720 min. (AA-size Alkaline Battery), approx. 840 min. (AA-size Ni-MH Battery)
- Operating Temperature: 32-104 degrees F/0-40 degrees C
- Operating Humidity: 10-90%
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 4.88 x 3.48 x 3.42 in./124.0 x 88.3 x 86.9mm
- Weight: Approx. 19.8 oz./560g (camera body only)