The COOLPIX P80 is a high-performance compact camera built to satisfy the needs of camera enthusiasts and family photographers alike. The P80 harmoniously integrates a 10.1 megapixel CCD image sensor with Nikon's innovative EXPEED digital image processing concept and an 18x optical Zoom-NIKKOR lens designed with the compact and comfortable styling of the Nikon COOLPIX brand.
Packing the power of 10.1 megapixels, the P80 captures fine detail with the creative freedom to crop and edit. The P80 features Nikon's legendary NIKKOR optics, ensuring quality images even while at a distance to subjects. The P80's 18x Zoom-NIKKOR lens covers focal lengths from 27-486mm (35mm format equivalent). To ensure steady shots while utilizing the camera's versatile zoom capabilities, the COOLPIX P80 is equipped with Optical Vibration Reduction (VR).
In line with other COOLPIX P-Series cameras, the P80 includes intuitive controls via dedicated command and mode dials, providing easy access to shooting controls and exposure mode settings. The P80 offers Programmed Auto [P], Shutter-priority Auto [S], Aperture-priority Auto [A] and Manual [M] modes granting users the ability to tap into the creativity of D-SLR functions while maintaining the simplicity of COOLPIX functionality. What's more, the P80 has the benefit of an all-new Sport Continuous Mode, allowing users to shoot as many as 30 consecutive pictures at four, six, or a quick 13 frames per second.
Capturing photos in lower light conditions is no problem for the P80. With a light sensitivity range up to ISO 6400, users can now create new opportunities to capture more natural-looking photos with minimal light, or fast moving subjects with unparalleled clarity.
Composing and reviewing photos is an enjoyable experience on the large, 2.7-inch LCD monitor with anti-reflection coating, wide viewing angle and 230,000 dots of high resolution. An eye level electronic viewfinder is available for quick easy viewing in challenging lighting conditions.
The P80 also offers quick access to a selection of 15 different scene-optimized and movie modes including the ability to shoot pictures in both black and white and color simultaneously. The new graphical user interface has an enhanced pop-up design allowing for more precise menu navigation and interaction.
Nikon has incorporated its user-friendly Imaging Innovations into the P80, designed to make the photo-taking process easier and more intuitive. These technologies, referred to as "Nikon In-Camera Innovations" include In-Camera Red-Eye Fix, D-Lighting, and Face-Priority AF. In-Camera Red-Eye Fix automatically detects and corrects red eye, a common condition that occurs in flash photography. In playback mode, D-Lighting compensates for excessive back-light or insufficient flash in images. Nikon's enhanced Face-Priority AF automatically finds and focuses on one person's face or up to 12 people's faces within one frame. Face-Priority AF provides faster and sharper focus to produce clear, crisp portraits wherever the subjects are positioned in the frame.
- 10.1 Megapixels for stunning prints as large as 20 x 30 inches. Plenty of sharp resolution to capture the finest details, crop creatively and produce incredible enlargements.
- Amazing 18x Optical Wide-Angle Zoom-NIKKOR Lens provides exceptional pictures. This lens is built on Nikon's proud heritage of producing precision camera optics that deliver superb color and razor-sharp results. This amazing lens offers unbeatable compositional freedom with it's wide-angle (27mm) to super-telephoto coverage (486mm). You can photograph sweeping landscapes and zoom in to capture the action on the baseball or soccer field!
- The World's Most Compact Super-telephoto Camera among competing models equipped with an 18x zoom as of March 4, 2008. This gives you the benefits of both a compact camera and a super-telephoto lens.
- New EXPEED Image Processor ensures high-quality pictures with stunning color and sharpness. Nikon's comprehensive digital imaging processing concept incorporates the know-how and the technologies acquired throughout our long history of photographic and digital imaging development. EXPEED is customer-tuned for COOLPIX and renders natual-looking pictures of incredible quality and quick response so you won't miss that special moment.
- Incredible, Bright 2.7-inch High-Resolution LCD and an Electronic Viewfinder make it easy to compose and share your pictures with friends and family. The incorporation of the high-resolution electronic viewfinder enables you to see through the lens in any type of lighting condition.
- Optical Vibration Reduction Image Stabilization compensates for camera shake to prevent blur and produce clearer, sharper results in lower light or unsteady conditions. In addition, the benefits of Nikon's VR system extends to faster framing on the monitor as well as smoother action when using the movie mode.
- Program, Shutter-Priority, Aperture-Priority and Manual Exposure Modes give you ultimate control over your pictures. The D-SLR-type mode dial on the top of the camera provides quick access to this greater personal and creative control. Now, you can adjust the camera's settings for any type of lighting conditions and get as creative as you want.
- Auto Adjusts up to ISO 6400 and lets you keep shooting, even in lower light. With a light sensitivity range of up to ISO 6400 in manual control, this creates new opportunities to take sharper, more natural-looking photos in lower light conditions. ISO 3200 and ISO 6400 settings are available at 3MP or lower resolution.
- New Sports Continuous Scene Mode for shooting up to 13fps, up to 30 frames, when you set the resolution to 3MP or lower. These high-speed capture settings help you stay ahead of the action, whether it's a swift golf or baseball swing, or the speed of the soccer field. At 13fps, you'll capture all the action.
- Nikon Image Innovations include: In-Camera Red-Eye Fix, that automatically looks for and fixes most instances of red-eye; Face Priority AF, Nikon's face-finding technology that can quickly find and focus on up to 12 faces in a group portrait; and D-Lighting which rescues pictures that are too dark for printing by enhancing the underexposed areas of the picture while not touching the properly exposed areas.
- High Quality TV Movies with Sound are now just a press of a button away with your COOLPIX P80. Record TV-quality movies with sound whose duration is only limited by the space available on your SD/SDHC card. Connect your camera to your TV, and you have instant home movies.