The *istDS is one of the smallest and lightest digital SLR cameras on the market today ? even more compact and lightweight than the PENTAX *istD. Despite its compact body, it assures outstanding image quality, thanks mainly to its 6.1 effective megapixels and PENTAX-original image processing technology. It is designed to be compatible with most PENTAX interchangeable lenses ? both new and old ? to meet a wide range of applications and maximize freedom of visual creativity.
This kit includes the smc PENTAX-DA Zoom 18mm-55mm F3.5-F5.6 AL lens. Exclusively designed for PENTAX digital SLR cameras including the PENTAX *ist DS SLR, the PENTAX-DA Zoom 18-55 lens is portable and affordable to ensure comfortable, well-balanced operations. This compact, lightweight standard zoom lens features an image circle to match the camera?s large 23.5mm x 15.7mm image sensor.
- Capture high-definition, maximum-gradation images with a large 6.1 megapixel CCD. Coupled with original image processing technology from PENTAX, the camera produces high-definition images rich in gradation and saturation.
- As one of the world's smallest, lightest digital SLRs, the *ist DS features a high-rigidity stainless-steel chassis and a super-compact, ultra-lightweight body. PENTAX downsized digital SLR technology by including multi-layered electronic circuit boards and high-density packaging. The result is a camera that measures a mere 4.9 x 3.6 x 2.6 inches and weighs less than 18 ounces without batteries and SD memory card.
- Enjoy an easy-to-use and accessible operation system. From the multi-function four-way controller to the responsive electronic select dial and the large, easy-to-use mode dial, all switches and dials are efficiently and functionally laid out around the camera's compact body to assure smooth, fingertip control.
- Use your existing PENTAX 35mm lenses and accessories. The *ist DS offers the outstanding benefit of lens interchangeability that allows users to take advantage of a wide selection of existing PENTAX interchangeable lenses.
- Get a super-clear view of the subject with the bright, high-precision viewfinder with superimposed AF-point display. The *ist DS comes equipped with a glass pentaprism viewfinder offering a 95% field of view and a 0.95X magnification.
- View just-recorded images quickly and effortlessly with the high-precision, color 2.0-inch LCD image monitor and multi-data panel.
- Focus with accuracy and precision with 11-point autofocus with SAFOX VIII. The *ist DS features the sophisticated SAFOX VIII AF system incorporating 11 AF sensors (nine of them constituting a cross-type wide-area sensor grid in the middle) for accurate, pinpoint autofocusing. The selected AF sensor point is highlighted in red in the viewfinder for easy visual confirmation. The user can also select one of the sensors to accommodate a specific image composition.
- Enjoy the versatility of an interchangeable Natural-Bright-Matte focusing screen. AF Split-Image Matte and AF Divided Matte screens available as optional accessories.
- Choose from six distinctive exposure modes through a sophisticated exposure system: Program AE, Auto Picture, Picture, Shutter-priority, Aperture-priority, Manual, and Bulb.
- Solve even the most complicated lighting conditions efficiently and instantly with a sophisticated 16-segment multi-pattern metering system. Spot and Center-weighted metering modes are also available to accommodate specialized applications.
- Freeze the decisive moment of the subject's action or motion with a top shutter speed of 1/4000 second and a top synchronization speed of 1/180 second.
- Choose from 18 user-adjustable custom functions to personalize important camera functions and suit individual preferences.
- Enjoy user-friendly automatic operations. The *ist DS is equipped to make camera operations simple and effortless for the user. Its innovative Auto picture mode automatically and instantly selects the optimum combination of exposure settings for a given subject or situation, including shutter speed, aperture, white balance, saturation, contrast, and intensity of edges. The built-in auto flash automatically pops up in dimly lit or backlit situations.
- Operate your *ist DS with ease with functional playback options, including 12X zoom display and nine-image thumbnail display.
- Enjoy the versatility of dual power sources. The *ist DS can operate from four AA-sized batteries or two CR-V3 Lithium batteries. An AC adapter is also available.
- Record and store more images with SD memory card compatibility: The *ist DS uses the widely available SD memory card as its storage media, not only assuring high-speed recording and readout of image data, but also contributing to the downsizing of the camera body.
- Capture a series of the subject's action or movement. The *ist DS records up to 8 images consecutively at a speed of approximately 2.8 frames per second for high-speed consecutive shooting.
- Effortlessly upload data to a PC using the included USB cable (USB 2.0 compatible)
- Choose from 18 user-adjustable custom functions to preprogram important camera functions to suit individual preferences. The user-selected function is clearly displayed on the LCD image monitor for at-a-glance confirmation.
- Choose from two recording formats: compressed JPEG and uncompressed RAW. The user can select one of three file sizes: 3008x2008, 2400x1600, and 1536x1024; and one of three image quality levels: good, better, and best. PENTAX PHOTO Laboratory 2.0 RAW-data processing software and PENTAX PHOTO Browser 2.0 browser software are included.
- Choose from three White balance modes: TTL Auto, Preset and Custom white balance. The Preset mode allows the instant selection of one of eight different white balance settings: Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten light, Fluorescent light Flash and Manual.
- Connect the *ist DS directly to your printer for complete control over printing and editing. PictBridge compatibility allows the camera to be connected to a PictBridge-supported printer directly via USB cable.
- Eliminate digital noise during extended exposures by activating the Noise reduction system.
- Capture three different exposures of the same subject ? proper, under- and over-exposure ? with a single shutter release with the Auto bracketing mode. Users have a choice of two exposure ranges: ?1.0 EV in 1/3 EV increments and ?1.5 EV in 1/2 EV increments.
- Shed light on your subject and reduce red-eye. The built-in auto flash automatically discharges in the dark and against backlight to provide supplemental illumination on the subject. Its Red-eye reduction function helps the photographer avoid the annoying red-eye effect in the subject's eyes in flash portraits.* The flash can be activated or turned off manually to create specific visual effects or to comply with flash restrictions. (*This feature does not eliminate red eyes in all instances.)