MEGA O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer)
This system to fight against hand-shake, the major cause of blurry images. This system, which takes advantage of Panasonic's outstanding lens technology, has long been incorporated into the LUMIX range of cameras. It's automatic, so you can leave everything to the camera. Even slight hand-shake movement is accurately detected by a sampling frequency of 4,000 times per second, and compensated to produce sharp, clear images. This is true, of course, for macro shots, which are especially susceptible to hand-shake, but it also lets you shoot in dimly lit rooms or evening illumination, without a flash, to preserve the mood. In short, it lets anybody take beautiful, blur-free shots with ease.
Intelligent ISO Control Prevents Blurry Shots Caused by Moving Subjects
In addition to O.I.S, the DMC-FX12 compensates for the other major cause of blurry images ? subject movement. The Intelligent ISO Control function, made possible by the Venus Engine III, detects subject movement and adjusts the ISO setting and shutter speed to best suit the movement and light conditions automatically. Have you ever mistakenly used a high ISO setting to take a photo of a subject standing still? If so, you may remember the noisy, grainy result. Or, if you have tried snapping a moving subject at a low ISO setting, your photo was probably spoiled by motion blur. Intelligent ISO Control gives you stunning images with ease because there is no need for complicated settings.
Blur Indicator lets you confirm that the camera is precisely detecting hand-shake and motion blur separately.
High Sensitivity Mode ISO 3200
Selecting High Sensitivity mode from among the Scene Modes allows the sensitivity to be raised all the way up to ISO 3200. This makes it possible to take sharp, blur-free shots of active children or pets even in indoor settings with limited light.
Venus Engine III
Venus Engine III in the DMC-FX12 allows high-sensitivity recording up to ISO 1250 at full resolution. The noise reduction system is also greatly improved while maintaining high resolution. It removes noise at the processing stages in series. First, critical noise is roughly undraped and the chromatic noise and the luminance noise are separated so they can each go through a supplemental noise reduction process that appropriately minimizes the remaining noise.
f/2.8 LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT Lens
The f/2.8 LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT lens inherits both its name and its outstanding quality from the LEICA ELMARIT lens, renowned in the film camera world for its superb performance and compact size. This bright, low-distortion lens is small and lightweight yet achieves the fine rendering for which Leica lenses are so well known. The result is a compact, easy-to-carry camera that delivers beautiful pictures.
3x Optical Zoom with 7.2-megapixel
The DMC-FX12 is equipped with a bright 3x optical zoom lens (equivalent to a 35mm-105mm on a 35mm film camera) that captures beautiful shots of people or landscapes. Use the Extra Optical Zoom when you want to pull the subject in just a little closer. It extends the 3x optical zoom ratio to 4.5x (35mm equivalent: 157mm) at resolutions of 3-megapixel or less, by using the central part of the CCD. Adding the Extra Optical Zoom to the 4x digital zoom extends the total zooming power to a maximum of 18x (35mm equivalent: 630mm). With this powerful zooming function, you can easily capture and magnify distant subjects.
Compact and Stylish Design
The DMC-FX12 is a remarkably compact, stylish, and practical camera with a comfortable grip that makes it easy to hold and also reduces hand-shake. Its cool design and light weight make it easy to take it with you everywhere you go, for even more photo fun.
Versatile Scene Modes are another great LUMIX feature. And the Scene Mode list display makes them even easier to select. In addition to the new Sunset and Pet modes, you can choose from a total of 20 situations, including Underwater* and Aerial Photo, for settings that match your subject. Animated moving icons make mode selection even easier and more fun.
Mode Dial - Mode Position Display
As you operate the dial, large animated icons are displayed. The list format makes it easy to find the mode you want with the mode dial. It also enables a sleek camera design because the dial doesn't have to protrude from the body. Choose Simple Mode and let the camera take care of everything, use Playback Mode to view or process the shots you've taken, or select Direct Printing Mode for direct connection to a printer. This single, easy-to-understand mode dial lets you easily switch between shooting, viewing, and printing.
Choose from three focus methods to match the shooting conditions of your subject.
- 5-point AF: For a sharp focus in a variety of picture compositions. This mode also prevents the system from mistakenly focusing on the area between two subjects in a vertical composition.
- 1-point high-speed AF: The AF time has been dramatically reduced* to achieve outstanding focusing.
*Compared with normal speed focusing.
- 1-point AF: Although screen-freeze in high-speed AF is now minimized, you can select this mode to totally eliminate it when you are focusing on a fast-moving subject.
Unlimited Consecutive Shooting
The Unlimited Consecutive Shooting* function lets you continue shooting until the memory card is full for a moving subject or a person's changing facial expression. Then save only the best ones. With a digital camera, you can just delete any shots you don't want.
(The focus and exposure are fixed at the first frame.)
Select from 3 Aspect Ratios
The aspect ratio is easily selectable between 16:9 wide, 3:2 and conventional 4:3 to shoot in the framing aspect that best suits the photo's composition or purpose of use. You can shoot images in the wide 16:9 format and save them onto an SD/SDHC Memory Card. Then insert the card into a TV equipped with an SD/SDHC card slot to view them in perfect, wide-screen size. Some TVs will display the images in stunning high definition.
High-Quality Wide Aspect VGA Motion Picture Mode
The DMC-FX12 lets you shoot smooth motion images at 30 frames/sec, complete with sound, in 16:9 WVGA or VGA size. You can also shoot at 10 frames/sec to reduce the file size.
Function Button for Quick and Easy Setting
The Function Button gives you shortcuts to frequently used menu settings. When shooting,* this single button lets you turn consecutive shooting on/off, make white balance adjustments, set the ISO sensitivity and image size, and select the compression format, while you continue to view your subject on the LCD.
Large 2.5? LCD
The large, 2.5" LCD has a total of 115,000 pixels. The difference is easy to see, with much greater clarity, both when shooting and during playback.
You can also print the date on your photos. In addition to the ordinary recording date, you can choose Baby or Pet mode from among the Scene Modes to print the age of a child or pet by inputting the birthdate in advance, or use the Travel Date Setting to print which day of the trip each photo was taken on. These dates, which can be helpful when making a photo album, can be stamped on photos whether you print them yourself at home or have a photo shop do them.
Built-in Memory 27MB
Take photos even when you don't have an SD/SDHC Memory Card on hand. The built-in memory holds up to 27 MB of image data, which you can later copy to an SD/SDHC Memory Card or PC. You can also copy images from a memory card or PC to the built-in memory, and view them on the LCD anytime you like.
Marine Case Compatibility
The DMC-FX12/FX10 is compatible with the optional marine case. This case will protect your LUMIX camera all the way to a depth of 40 meters. It lets you take clear, beautiful photos underwater.
- Shooting Information Display: In addition to basic information like the remaining battery strength and the number of shots that can be taken, information about the mode setting is displayed. When the shutter button is pressed halfway, the focusing condition, aperture, and shutter speed are displayed.* This lets you check them before you shoot.
- Composition Guidelines: You can use composition guidelines from two patterns according* to the shooting subject. And guidelines can be shown at the same time as other information and icons.
- Real Time Histograms: This graph, which can be displayed in the LCD as you line up the shot, shows the status of the exposure and contrast in real-time.
- Power LCD: You probably know how difficult it is to see an LCD image on a sunny day. When that happens with LUMIX, all you have to do is hold the DISPLAY/LCD MODE button down a little longer and then select Power LCD mode from the screen. The LCD backlight becomes about 1.4 times brighter to produce clear, easy-to-see images even in bright sunlight.
- High Angle LCD Mode for Easy Viewing: The High Angle Mode makes the display extremely easy to view from a low angle, for example, when taking photos by raising your hand upward to capture the subject over the crowd.
- Bright Live View Shows Even Dark Scenes Clearly - The bright LCD is easy to see when taking photos. The pixel-mixed readout method is used to automatically increase the brightness level of live images according to the level of ambient darkness. This allows bright, easy framing of scenes that would normally be too dark to see.
- ISO Sensitivity Settings: You can choose the light-receiving sensitivity from Auto, I.ISO, 100, 200, 400, 800, or 1250.
- White Balance: Choose from six preset white balance settings: Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Shade, Halogen, and White Set. This is handy when there are several different light sources and it's difficult to get the exact coloration you want.
- Color Mode: Choose from five or seven preset Color Mode settings: Cool*, Warm*, Black & White, Sepia, Natural, Standard, and Vivid.
- Exposure Compensation: Adjust the exposure setting to create a particular image. (1/3 EV step, -/+2 EV) This is also effective for backlight compensation. And you can show the control indication on the display with a single button.
- Self Timer: You can use either a 2-second or 10-second setting.
- Flash: Choose the ideal flash for almost any situation. Auto; Auto/Red-eye Reduction; Slow Sync./Red-eye Reduction; Forced On/Off; Forced On/Red-eye Reduction
- Light metering: The light can be measured in three ways as a guideline for exposure: Intelligent Multiple, Center Weighted, or Spot. Simply switch the metering method to match the shooting scene or your shooting intent.
- World Time Setting: This setting lets you display the local time of your destination when traveling abroad. You simply select your travel destination, and the camera calculates the time difference from the time in the clock setting and displays the local time. You can set the time and date for 74 locations across the world.
9/25 Multi Display and Calendar Display: The large LCD allows the display of images even in tiny thumbnail size. Playback of 9 or 25 frames is possible on a multi-split screen in addition to the normal 1-frame playback. This helps you to search for the image you want out of a number of images stored on the SD/SDHC Memory Card, even if there are many images. LUMIX also features the Calendar Display. It shows the day that each shot was taken, which makes it easy to group and play back all of the shots taken on a particular day.
Auto Review: This function shows you an enlarged view of the image right after you shoot, to make it easier to check the focus.
DPOF Settings: You can automatically record the information you need when having prints made by a commercial printing service, or on your home printer. Simply specify the images you want to print, how many copies you want, and what kind of information you want to be output with them, and save the information onto the LUMIX memory card. Then you just insert the memory card into the printer and start printing. When using a commercial printing service, all you have to do is send them the memory card. It couldn't be much easier.
ArcSoft Software: This software features a variety of functions, such as viewing and editing images.
|Lens ||LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT|
7 elements in 6 groups (3 Aspherical lenses / 3 Aspherical surfaces)
|Optical Image Stabilizer ||MEGA O.I.S. (Mode1 / Mode2)|
|Zoom || |
Digital: 4x (Max. 12x combined with Optical Zoom without Extra Optical Zoom) (Max. 18x combined with Extra Optical Zoom)
|4:3 Aspect Ratio: ||3.6x for 5 Mega, 4.5x for 3.0 / 2.0 / 1.0 / 0.3 Mega|
|3:2 Aspect Ratio: ||4.5x for 2.5 Mega|
|16:9 Aspect Ratio: ||4.5x for 2 Mega|
|Focal Distance ||f = 5.8 - 17.4 mm (35 mm Equivalent: 35 - 105 mm)|
|Focusing Area ||Normal: 50 cm (1.64 feet) - infinity|
Macro / Simple Mode / Intelligent ISO / Motion Picture: wide 5 cm (0.16 feet) / Tele 30 cm (0.98 feet) - infinity
|AF Metering ||1-point / 1-point high speed / 5-point|
|AF Assist Lamp ||Yes|
|Camera Effective Pixels ||7.2 Megapixels|
|Image Sensor ||1/2.5", 7.38 Mega Total Pixels CCD|
Primary Color Filter
|Focus ||Auto Focus System, Normal / Macro (Dial)|
|ISO Sensitivity ||Auto / 100 / 200 / 400 / 800 / 1250|
(High Sensitivity Mode: 3200)
|White Balance ||Auto / Daylight / Cloudy / Shade / Halogen / White Set|
|Exposure ||Program AE|
|Exposure Compensation ||1/3 EV step, -2 - +2 EV|
|Backlight Compensation ||Yes (at Simple Mode)|
|Light Metering ||Intelligent Multiple|
|Scene Mode ||Dial: Normal Picture, Simple, Macro SCN (Portrait, Soft Skin, Scenery, Sports, Night Portrait, Night Scenery, Self-Portrait, Food, Party, Candle, Fireworks, Starry Sky, Beach, Aerial Photo, Snow, High Sensitivity, Baby1, Baby2, Underwater, Sunset, Pet), Motion Picture, Playback, Print, Intelligent ISO|
|Shutter Speed ||8 - 1/2,000 sec|
Starry Sky Mode: 15, 30, 60 sec
|Aperture ||Wide: F2.8 / F8.0 (2 steps) |
Tele: F5.0 / F14.0 (2 steps)
|Self Timer ||2 sec / 10 sec|
|Auto Review ||1 sec / 3 sec|
|Review ||1x / 4x / 8x|
|Color Mode ||Black & White, Sepia, Natural, Standard, Vivid|
|Recording Format ||Still Image: JPEG (Design rule for Camera File system, based on Exif 2.21 standard), DPOF corresponding|
Motion Images: QuickTime Motion JPEG
|Recording Image Size ||Still Image |
|4:3 Aspect Ratio: ||3,072 x 2,304 pixels,|
2,560 x 1,920 pixels,
2,048 x 1,536 pixels,
1,600 x 1,200 pixels,
1,280 x 960 pixels,
640 x 480 pixels
|3:2 Aspect Ratio: ||3,072 x 2,048 pixels,|
2,048 x 1,360 pixels
|16:9 Aspect Ratio: ||3,072 x 1,728 pixels,|
1,920 x 1,080 pixels
|Image Quality ||Fine / Standard|
|Motion Picture * |
(QuickTime Motion JPEG)
|4:3 Aspect Ratio: 640 x 480 pixels, 320 x 240 pixels 30 fps, 10 fps|
16:9 Aspect Ratio: 848 x 480 pixels 30 fps, 10 fps
(Max. recording time depends on Memory Card Capacity, Max. 2 GB for a motion picture)
|Unlimited Consecutive Shooting ||Yes|
|Real-time Histogram ||Yes|
|Composition Guide Lines ||Yes|
|Built-in-Memory ||27 MB |
|Scene Mode Help Screen ||Yes|
|Auto Angle Detection ||Yes|
|Travel Date / World Time ||Yes / Yes|
|Date Stamp ||Yes|
|Built-in-Flash ||Auto, Auto / Red-eye Reduction, Forced On, Forced Off|
0.3 - 5.0 m (Wide / ISO Auto), 0.3 - 2.8 m (Tele / ISO Auto)
|LCD ||2.5" TFT LCD (115 K Pixels)|
Field of View : approx. 100%
Power LCD Mode, High Angle Mode
|Playback Mode ||25 - thumbnail display, 9 - thumbnail display, Calendar display, Zoomed playback (16x Max.), Image rotation, Slide show (duration is adjustable, also manual controllable), Playback of favorite pictures Resizing (selectable number of pixels), Trimming, Protection, DPOF print setting|
|OSD Language ||English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Russian, Chinese (Traditional), Chinese (Simplified), Netherlandic, Thai, Korean, Turkish, Portuguese, Arabic, Persian, Japanese|
|Recording Media ||Built-in Memory, SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card, MultiMedia Card|
|Interface ||DC Input, AV Output (NTSC / PAL), USB|
|Direct Print ||PictBridge|
|Power ||Li-ion Battery Pack (3.7 V, 1,150 mAh) (Included)|
AC Adaptor (Input: 110 - 240 V AC) (Optional)
|Battery Life |
|350 pictures (CIPA standard)|
|Included Software ||LUMIX Simple Viewer, PhotofunStudio - viewer -, ArcSoft (PhotoImpression, PhotoBase, PanoramaMaker), USB Driver|
|Dimensions (Approx.) |
(W x H x D)
|3.70" (W) x 2.02" (H) x 0.95" (D) / (94.1 x 51.4 x 24.2 mm)|
|Weight (Approx.) ||0.28 lbs. (125 g)|
0.34 lbs. with Battery and SD Memory Card (153 g)
|Standard Accessories ||Battery Charger, Battery Pack, Battery Carrying Case AV Cable, USB Connection Cable, AC Cable, Strap, CD-ROM|