Compact, Capable and Easy to Use
Canon's VIXIA HF G40 camcorder offers the optical refinement and dynamic advanced performance experienced videographers want in a lightweight and portable package. Using a Genuine Canon 20x High Definition Optical Zoom lens and a new, highly sensitive HD CMOS Pro Image Sensor with improved low-light performance, the VIXIA HF G40 camcorder provides sharp, Full HD video with beautiful highlight and shadow detail in virtually every lighting situation. A DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor speeds up operation and enables the lens's powerful image stabilization for clear and stable images, even when shooting handheld. For fluid use in numerous situations, the VIXIA HF G40 camcorder has a 3.5-inch touch-capacitive screen, plus a tiltable electronic viewfinder. A host of manual controls are complemented by two modes: Wide DR Gamma and Highlight Priority, which help capture color and detail virtually consistent with how they're seen by the naked eye. Creative options are expanded with a new interval recording option that can capture fast motion of up to 1200x the original speed. Ideal for an incredible variety of uses, the VIXIA HF G40 is a stellar choice for anyone who requires professional-quality videos on the go.
- Genuine Canon 20x High Definition Optical Zoom Lens
- Advanced HD CMOS Pro Image Sensor with Improved Low-light Performance
- 1080/60p Recording in MP4
- Built-in Wi-Fi Technology with FTP Transfer Capability
- Superb Image Reproduction
- 3.5-inch OLED Viewscreen with 10,000:1 Contrast Ratio and EVF
- Dual SD Card Slots, Using Readily Available, Consumable Media
- Wide DR Gamma (600%)
- Highlight Priority Mode
- View Assist Function that Supports Highlight Priority Mode
- Intelligent Optical Image Stabilization System with Powered and Dynamic Modes and Auto On/Off
- Full Manual Control
- Ergonomic, Portable Design
- High Definition Peaking for Focus Assist
- Assignable Buttons for Custom Shooting
- Connectivity to Various Inputs and Outputs
- High-capacity Battery Included
- Linear PCM Audio Recording2 and Audio Scene Select
- Compatible with Optional Canon WM-V1 Wireless Microphone
- Mini Advanced Accessory Shoe
- Advanced Display Features: Zebra, Color Bars and Test Tone
- Slow and Fast Motion, including Interval Recording from 2x to 1200x
The VIXIA HF G40 camcorder features a Genuine Canon 20x HD Video Lens offering a 35mm equivalent of 26.8-576mm with a minimum object distance of just 23.6 inches (60cm). Incorporating advanced elements and coatings, it helps reduce flare, ghosting and other distracting effects, delivering sharp, clear images with minimal distortion.
The VIXIA HF G40 features an 8-blade Circular Aperture, which helps reduce the "starburst" effect found in camcorders with non-circular apertures. The result is that points of light in out-of-focus areas, usually the background of your shot, are beautifully circularly blurred, creating an authentic and artistic feel. The professional touch of a manual focus ring allows accurate and precise control. For extra flexibility, the manual focus ring can be easily set to control zoom instead.
Advanced HD CMOS Pro Image Sensor
For incredibly sharp and detailed high-definition video recording, the VIXIA HF G40 camcorder features a reengineered, 1/2.84-inch, 2.91 Megapixel HD CMOS Pro Image Sensor that captures approximately 2136 x 1362 pixels. Thanks to the sensor's enhanced sensitivity, the VIXIA HF G40 helps provide vivid, accurate recording through an improved signal-to-noise ratio.
Improved Low-light Performance
Featuring an improved, low-luminance noise rating of +3 dB, the VIXIA HF G40 camcorder is able to capture clearer, sharper images in lower light, with even better detail.
1080/60p Recording in MP4
The VIXIA HF G40 camcorder gives you high-quality recording whether you're capturing MP4 or AVCHD files. 1080/60p recording captures twice the amount of information as 60i, and with images captured at a rate of up to 60 frames per second, diagonal noise is virtually eliminated so even fast moving subjects show up crisply with motion and patterns clearly recorded. This greater sense of detail and faithful rendering of moving edges, plus enhanced color and fine tonal gradation, gives your video everything Full HD has to offer. With the VIXIA HF G40 you can record in internet-ready, easy-to-share MP4 format at up to 35 Mbps. The VIXIA HF G40 also features a maximum bit rate of 28 Mbps for AVCHD recording, the highest in the AVCHD standard. So, regardless of the format you're shooting or viewing, image quality is outstanding.
Native 24p Progressive Mode
The VIXIA HF G40 camcorder features the Native 24p Progressive Mode, which allows up to 24 frames per second to be captured and recorded (instead of the standard 60i) - a look that is evocative of traditional cinematic quality, and a must for serious filmmaking work.
Built-in Wi-Fi Technology with FTP Transfer Capability
Built-in, dual-band (5 GHz/2.4 GHz) Wi-Fi technology on the VIXIA HF G40 camcorder lets you share your HD video easily, and in a number of different ways. Connect with compatible networks, wireless hotspots and iOS mobile devices using the free Canon Movie Uploader app*. Transfer files to selected FTP servers for back up or when a quick transfer is necessary. Share videos over the internet with CANON iMAGE GATEWAY** - an online photo storage service that lets you upload to social networking sites. Watch videos stored on the camera's memory cards directly on your living room TV, or use your PC or mobile device to browse remotely through the previously recorded videos stored on your camcorder, without connecting a cable***. The Remote Browse function uses a standard Web browser and does not require a special app.
Additionally, Wi-Fi technology allows remote control of key camcorder controls, such as recording start/stop and zoom (in three different speeds), exposure functions (iris, shutter speed, gain and more) and focus settings, adding another level of freedom to your shooting abilities.
*This software enables you to upload images to social network sites. Before uploading images, please be aware that image files may contain privacy related information such as people and places. If necessary, please delete such information. Canon does not obtain, collect or use such images or any information included in such images through this software. Compatible with iOS version 5/6/7 or later for select devices. MP4 60p and AVCHD recordings are not supported for this function.
**One-time registration is required on CANON iMAGE GATEWAY online photo album.
***Compatible with iOS version 5/6 or later and Android version 4.0 or later for select devices. AVCHD recording is not supported for this function. On iOS devices, MP4 60p recording is not supported; only the playback function is available.
Superb Image Reproduction
The VIXIA HF G40 camcorder represents Canon's Full HD System, delivering truly excellent image quality and reproduction for most any application. With its 20x Optical Zoom HD Video lens, its new HD CMOS Pro Image Sensor and the powerful DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor working together to capture and process the images at hand, the VIXIA HF G40 is positioned to deliver HD video that is nothing short of stunning.
3.5-inch OLED Viewscreen with 10,000:1 Contrast Ratio
The touch-sensitive Organic Light-Emitting Diode (OLED) panel on the VIXIA HF G40 camcorder boasts an impressive viewing angle, color reproduction, contrast and touch responsiveness. Your vivid, clear video will be reproduced faithfully with approximately 1.23 million dots of resolution. And the touch responsiveness of the screen is smooth and sensitive, enabling fluid control of camera functions like Touch & Track, Touch Focus and Touch Exposure.
The VIXIA HF G40 features a 0.24-inch, approximately 1.56 million-dot color electronic viewfinder with approximately 100% field of view coverage for detailed, accurate composition judgment. The viewfinder can be tilted up to 45? from its normal resting position to enable a great amount of shooting freedom. Settings can be adjusted with a handy joystick so you don't have to stop looking through the viewfinder. And, because it is positioned where your thumb naturally rests while holding the camera, you can shoot and adjust easily - even with one hand!
Dual SD Card Slots
The VIXIA HF G40 camcorder allows you to record video directly to widely available SD, SDHC and SDXC memory cards with capacities ranging from over 32GB to 2TB. They are available in ultra-fast reading and writing speeds and make it easy to share video.
Dual Recording and built-in transcoding help ensure that you'll have the right format available for your needs. Using the power of the DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor, the VIXIA HF G40 camcorder can simultaneously record video in AVCHD format to one SD card, and in MP4 format to the other SD card****. The widely used MP4 format provides quick, conversion-free playback on compatible tablets and smartphones, and lets you upload videos directly to select social networking sites for easy sharing with friends, family and the world. AVCHD is ideal for watching videos on an HDTV or archiving them to Blu-ray discs. The camcorder also has a built-in transcoding function that converts AVCHD files to MP4s, making them easy to upload to the Web or save to an SD card.
****Simultaneous recording is not supported when using MP4 (35 Mbps), AVCHD Progressive (28 Mbps) or Cinema-Look Filters.
Highlight Priority Mode
For natural and realistic-looking image capture that faithfully represents the scene at hand, the VIXIA HF G40 camcorder features a Wide DR Gamma mode. By suppressing overexposure in high brightness areas of the composition, this mode helps achieve a wide dynamic range of 600% to produce virtually seamless tone gradations, resulting in smooth detail, accurate color and virtually no blown-out highlights.
View Assist Function
To capture highly saturated, realistic colors and to convey gradation characteristics as perceived by the eye, the VIXIA HF G40 camcorder has a new Highlight Priority mode that achieves effects similar to HDR modes in other camcorders. By reducing the mid- to high-brightness compression of the standard gamma mode, the Highlight Priority mode helps to prevent loss of detail in high brightness areas. Designed for display on a bright LCD TV, videos captured in Highlight Priority mode should be shown at a high brightness setting to help ensure accurate portrayal of the effect.
Intelligent Optical Image Stabilization System
When using the VIXIA HF G40 camcorder in Highlight Priority mode, the View Assist function increases brightness and medium tone gamma in the camera's viewfinder or OLED panel. This allows images to be displayed with the brightness and gradation with which they are being recorded or reviewed, helping to ensure the subjects look natural and realistic.
Full Manual Control
Canon's sophisticated SuperRange Optical Image Stabilizer corrects camera shake instantly, so even handheld video taken at long focal lengths can be sharp and steady. The power of Canon's DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor has made possible a versatile Dynamic Image Stabilization mode. In addition to providing continuous adjustment throughout the entire zoom range to correct a broad range of motion, with extra compensation applied at wide-angle focal lengths, the system stabilizes rotational camera shake. Controlling rotational camera shake - horizontal, vertical and roll axis - helps ensure smooth, virtually distortion-free video, even when you're walking while shooting.
Custom Key and Dial
A Custom Key and Dial feature allows you to assign functions to an easily accessible key and adjust the settings with a control dial. The functions include:
- Tv/Av: Use the dial to adjust shutter speed (Tv mode) or aperture (Av mode), as needed. In this mode the key has no effect.
- Manual exposure: When manual control is selected, the dial can adjust aperture, shutter speed or gain. Select items to adjust, such as aperture or other settings, with the key.
- Exposure Lock can be set on or off as can the AGC Limit.
With the Level Marker feature, it's easy to keep the camcorder level for more accurate framing. The Grid Marker provides a reference grid in your viewfinder. Depending on the background color of your shot, you can choose between two different colors (white or gray) for better viewing contrast.
Gain may be manually set from 0 dB to 24 dB in 1 dB increments. Additionally, Auto Gain Control Limit allows you to set the maximum gain limit for the image sensor's sensitivity. With this function, brightness and noise can be balanced as required, and image quality can be maximized in low-light situations.
Power zoom is available in Variable and Constant settings in 3 modes: Fast (approx. 1.9-60 seconds), Normal (approx. 2.5-180 seconds) and Slow (approx. 4.0-285 seconds). To provide added control, there are 16 predefined steps in Constant mode.
High Definition Peaking for Focus Assist
Weighing approximately two pounds including the battery and lens hood, the VIXIA HF G40 camcorder is ideal for high-action shoots when both speed and mobility are essential, and where keeping a low profile is an added benefit. Though small in size, this camcorder sacrifices nothing when it comes to professional functionality. It features a "seesaw" style zoom lever, manual focus/zoom ring and joystick for easy control and an electronic viewfinder that can tilt up to 45 degrees for low-angle shooting. It also has five Assign Buttons to help it fit to your operational needs.
Assignable Buttons for Custom Shooting
To enhance focusing capability, the VIXIA HF G40 camcorder provides Focus Assist. It includes enlargement, which helps in capturing your subject in razor-sharp focus. It works by providing a 2x magnification of your subject, which is automatically cancelled when you start recording. Also included is color peaking, which shows the shooting object's focused areas in actual colors.
The VIXIA HF G40 camcorder is equipped with five assignable buttons so that the camcorder can be tailored to the specific preferences or needs of the user.
- Button 1 is preset as AF/MF.
- Button 2 is preset as Pre REC.
- Button 3 has no preset.
- Button 4 has no preset.
- Button 5 is preset as Rec Review.
Connectivity to Various Inputs and Outputs
Not only does the VIXIA HF G40 camcorder provide the user with incredible control over the image, it also provides immense creative freedom when it comes to inputs and outputs, including:
- HDMI Output (HDMI mini connector, time code can be superimposed)
- Composite Video Output (3.5mm)
- USB Hi-Speed Terminal
- Microphone Input (3.5mm)
- Headphone Jack (3.5mm)
- Remote Control Terminal (compatible with LANC protocol)
- Mini Advanced Accessory Shoe
High-capacity Battery Included
The VIXIA HF G40 camcorder is powered by a high-capacity battery pack. The rechargeable lithium-ion battery not only lets you shoot for a long time, but features intelligent technology that accurately indicates remaining battery time for extra insurance that you won't miss an important shooting opportunity.
Linear PCM Audio Recording
Professional-quality 16-bit PCM* recordings offer enhanced sound quality and fidelity and are fully compatible with video- and audio-editing software.
* Only supported in 28 Mbps and 24 Mbps recording modes.
Audio Scene Select
Audio Scene Select offers five modes and one custom mode that automatically optimize settings based on the recording situation, making it easy to record realistic, immersive audio in a range of situations.
Compatible with Optional Canon WM-V1 Wireless Microphone
Canon helps you get more out of your camcorder with a range of optional accessories that inspire creativity and productivity. One such example is the Canon WM-V1 Wireless Microphone, which streams audio wirelessly from subjects up to 164 feet away. It can be ideal for adding your subject's voice at times when you can't get in close to shoot, and can also be used as a stand-alone transceiver to cue shooting and more.
Mini Advanced Accessory Shoe
The Mini Advanced Accessory Shoe allows you to attach optional Canon accessories, such as the Video Light VL-5, Directional Stereo Microphone DM-100 or 5.1-Channel Surround Microphone SM-V1.
Advanced Display Features
Videographers with exacting needs will appreciate the VIXIA HF G40 camcorder's range of functions designed to pinpoint focus adjustment and exposure control while helping you get professional-level quality from the camcorder. Zebra pattern indicates "blown out" or high brightness areas to help you set proper exposure. Color bars and test tone can be selected and recorded in order to adjust video and audio quality.
Slow and Fast Motion
Slow and Fast Motion Modes allow the VIXIA HF G40 camcorder to record a different frame rate than the playback frame rate (only in MP4 recording modes), for a fast or slow motion effect during playback. Since the camcorder is recording real frames and modifying the playback rate, there is virtually no quality loss and maximum image quality is maintained. Additionally, interval recording allows the user to record frames at specified intervals, providing time-lapse recording of up to 1200x and slow motion down to 0.4x of the original speed.
- Standard Definition or High Definition: High Definition
- Power Supply (rated): 7.4 V DC (battery pack), 8.4 V DC (DC IN)
- Television System: NTSC
- Recording Format: AVCHD / MP4
- Video Recording System: MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
- Audio Recording System: Linear PCM (2ch), Dolby Digital (2ch) / MPEG-2 AAC-LC (2ch)
- Image Sensor: 1/2.84-inch CMOS, RGB Primary Color Filter
- Total Pixels: Approx. 3.09 Megapixels (2208 x 1398)
- Effective Pixels: Approx. 2.91 Megapixels (2136 x 1362)
- Lens Zoom Ratio: 20x Optical / 400x Digital
- Lens Focal Length: 3.67-73.4mm (35mm equivalent: 26.8-576mm with Standard IS/IS Off, 28.8-576mm with Dynamic IS)
- Lens Zoom Speed: Variable speed / Constant speed (16 levels); Fast, Normal or Slow
- Lens Max. F/Stop: f/1.8-2.8
- Focusing System: Hybrid AF (TTL-video signal detection system and external phase difference metering system): Instant AF, Medium AF, Normal AF (TTL-video signal selection system), Face Only AF, Manual Focus
- Manual Exposure: Available
- Programmed AE Auto Mode: Auto
- Programmed AE Manual Mode: P, Tv, Av, M (Manual exposure), SCN (Portrait, Sports, Snow, Beach, Sunset, Night, Low Light, Spotlight, Fireworks)
- Programmed AE Cinema Mode: P, Tv, Av, M
- Max Shutter Speed: 1/2000 sec.
- Minimum Focusing Distance: 20mm (wide end) / 60cm (across zooming range)
- White Balance: Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H
- Frame Rate AVCHD: 1080: 59.94P / 59.94i / PF29.97 / 23.98P
- Frame Rate MP4: 1080: 59.94P / 29.97P / 23.98P; 720 and 360: 29.97P / 23.98P
- Minimum Illumination Auto Mode: Approx. 1.2 lux (shutter speed 1/30 sec. and with auto slow shutter on)
- Minimum Illumination Low Light Mode: Approx. 0.1 lux (shutter speed 1/2 sec.)
- Optical System (lens shift) + Electronic Stabilization Control Modes: Dynamic IS, Powered IS, Macro IS, Tripod Mode
- IS Modes other than Intelligent IS: Standard IS, IS Off
- Filter Diameter: 58mm
- Viewfinder: 0.24-inch, TFT Widescreen color LCD (Equivalent to approx. 1.56 million dots; 100% field of view)
- LCD Screen: 3.5-inch OLED, Capacitive Touch Panel (Approx. 1.23 million dots)
- Recording Media: 2 SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card slots
- USB Terminal: mini-B receptacle and Hi-Speed USB supported (output only)
- HD/SD-SDI Terminal: N /A
- Accessory Shoe: Cold shoe (front area), Mini advanced shoe (back area)
- HDMI Terminal: HDMI OUT mini connector
- Microphone Terminal: 3.5mm diameter stereo mini-jack, MIC/LINE switching possible
- A/V Mini Terminal/Headphone Terminal: 3.5mm diameter 4-pole mini-jack (video/audio output only)
- Headphone Terminal: 3.5mm stereo mini-jack
- Remote Control Terminal: 2.5mm stereo mini-jack (input only)
- Operating Temperature Range: Approx. -5-45 degrees C, 60% relative humidity (operation); Approx. 0-40 degrees C, 85% relative humidity (performance)
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 4.3 x 3.3 x 7.2 in. / 109 x 84 x 182mm (Not including lens hood and grip belt)
- Weight: Approx. 1.7 lb. / 765g (includes grip belt)