The 4 K Premium Camcorder with Wide-Angle 24mm and Optical 20x Zoom
Panasonic's new 4K camcorder, the HC-X1, features a host of high-end functions and specifications to meet professional 4K video production needs. This model is equipped with a newly designed compact lens featuring a wide 24mm angle and optical 20x zoom as well as an effective 1.0-type (inch) high-sensitivity MOS
sensor. Its evolved Optical Image Stabilizer (O.I.S.) and high-speed intelligent AF function are suitable for professional camera work.
The HC-X1 supports 4K 24p, UHD 60p/50p, FHD 60p/50p multi-format recording and HD super slow-motion. Two SD memory card slots are provided to enable relay/simultaneous/backup recording for enhanced reliability, and also support UHD/FHD dual codec recording for a more efficient workflow.
The HC-X1's control functions, such as the triple manual rings and user buttons, as well as interfaces, such as XLR input and wired remote terminal, are engineered to meet the needs of professional video recording. Offering the same levels of agility and mobility as the conventional HD handheld camcorder, the HC-X1 provides powerful support for high-image-quality 4K video production.
Newly Developed, Industry's Widest Angle 24mm and 20x Optical Zoom Lens
- The 4-Drive Lens System has achieved a wide 24mm angle and 20x optical zoom in the handheld camcorder with 1.0-type (inch) sensor.
- The Optical Image Stabilizer (O.I.S.) with a correction range expanded to approximately 900 percent enables stable handheld shooting (compared with
- The Micro Drive Focus Unit offers high-speed auto focus with excellent tracking performance and improved stability in 4K recording.
Effective 1.0-Type (Inch) MOS Sensor for High-Precision, High-Speed 4K 60p/50p Recording
- The effective 1.0-type (inch) MOS (approx. 9.46 megapixels in 4K 24p, and approx. 8.79 megapixels in UHD/FHD) offers an appropriate depth of field and excellent balance between image quality and sensitivity.
- 4K 24p, UHD 60p/50p, FHD 60p/50p multi-format and HD 120-fps(59.94Hz)/100-fps(50Hz) super slow-motion recording are possible.
Professional Functions and Design, Including Triple Manual Rings and XLR Audio Input
- The triple manual rings, user buttons and other controls are specially designed to satisfy professional users.
- Equipped with professional interfaces such as XLR input, and wired remote control.
4-Drive Lens System
The 4-Drive Lens System simultaneously and independently drives 4 lens groups (group 2, iris, group 3, group 4). The lens size and drive range for each of the 4 groups can be efficiently suppressed to optimize image quality, zoom power, and achieve compact body.
Industry's Widest Angle of 24 mm at the Wide-Angle Setting
The integrated lens boasts the industry's widest angle of 24 mm at the wide-angle setting. It enables wide-angle shooting with little distortion, without the use of a wide conversion lens and also allows video recording/production in narrow spaces.
World's First Optical 20x Zoom in a Camcorder with 1.0-type (inch) Sensor
The optical 20x zoom lens covers the range from 24mm wide-angle to 480mm telescopic (35mm film equivalent at 4K 24p). The lens can zoom from wide-angle to telescopic very quickly.
Intelligent Zoom for Maximum 30x Zoom in Super-High Resolution
In FHD shooting modes, the Intelligent Zoom function increases the zooming capability to a maximum of approximately 30x, while maintaining high resolution. When it reaches to 20x optical zoom limit, it seamlessly switches to Intelligent Zoom.
Digital Zoom (2x, 5x or 10x)
The HC-X1 is equipped with 2x, 5x and 10x digital zoom. Using the 20x optical zoom and Intelligent Zoom together, it gives you super-telephoto magnification equivalent to a 300x zoom without dropping the light intensity.
High-Image-Quality, High-Sensitivity 1.0-type (inch) 4K Sensor
An effective 1.0-type (inch) MOS sensor (approx. 9.46 megapixels in 4K 24p, approx. 8.79 megapixels in UHD/FHD) provides an appropriate depth of field and excellent balance between image quality and sensitivity. Images can also be recorded with a resolution of 4K (4096 x 2160)/24p, UHD(3840 x 2160)/60p/50p or FHD (1920 x 1080)/60p/50p.
LEICA DICOMAR Lens
This high-performance lens has passed the stringent quality standards of Leica Camera AG. A multi-coating process minimizes ghosts and flaring, resulting in especially clear images.
Advanced Optical Image Stabilizer [4K/UHD/FHD]
The correction area of the Optical Image Stabilizer (O.I.S.) has been expanded to approximately 900 percent over the conventional area (as compared to the Panasonic AG-AC160). This provides powerful correction even in unstable shooting situations, such as low-angle or high-angle shots. The ball OIS system reduces wear on the drive section, and greatly improves correction for small-amplitude hand-shake.
5-Axis HYBRID O.I.S. + [FHD]
In HD shooting modes, by using hand-shake correction that combines the effects of both optical and electronic image stabilization, hand-shake in various directions, including the roll rotation, is detected and corrected.
Intelligent Auto Focus Offering High Speed, Excellent Tracking Performance and Stability
By moving the Micro Drive Focus Unit minutely and quickly, highly precise AF performance is also achieved when shooting in 4K or shooting with a shallow depth of field.
- Top-level focusing speed in 4K: Even when a subject suddenly enters the frame, it is instantly focused.
- Top-level tracking performance in 4K: The subject's movement is also tracked.
- Top-level stability in 4K: The subject stays in focus even when there are some obstacles passing through.
Custom AF Function for Adjustment of AF Speed, Tracking Sensitivity and Area Settings
Auto focus operation can be customized by adjusting the AF Speed, AF Sensitivity and AF Area Width. This function enables the AF to operate exactly as intended by the user in accordance with the subject type or application.
- AF Speed: AF speed can be set in seven steps from one to seven. The larger the figure, the faster the AF.
- AF Sensitivity: AF sensitivity can be set in ten steps from one to ten. The larger the figure, the easier it is to track fast-moving subjects.
- AF Area Width: The width of the area in which AF is effective can be adjusted.
Focus Assist (Expand and Peaking)
When the Focus Assist button is pressed, Expand (enlargement) or Peaking (colored emphasis of focus point) is displayed to assist the user's manual focusing operation. Expand and Peaking can also be displayed simultaneously.
This function temporarily activates Auto Focus when shooting in Manual Focus mode, using a "PUSH AUTO" button.
Manual Focus Assist
Focus is automatically optimized after you adjust it with the focus ring in Manual Focus mode. This enables quick and accurate focusing.
Up to three focus positions can be preset. The focus can be shifted to a preset focus position (focal distance) with a single touch. The user can set the focus transition time (immediate, 2 to 15 sec, 20 sec, 30 sec, 45 sec, 60 sec, 90 sec) and the wait time until the start of focus transition (0 sec, 5 sec, 10 sec).
Auto Focus is easily possible with just a touch on the LCD panel. You can also change this to Auto Iris and Brightness Display on the screen.
VFR (2 to 60 fps)/Super-Slow Motion (120/100 fps)
- FHD VFR (variable frame rate) Recording: VFR (variable frame rate) recording can be set in ten steps from 2 to 60 fps.
- Super-Slow Motion: Slow-motion effect can be achieved by high-speed HD recording at 120 fps (59.94 Hz) or 100 fps (50 Hz).
IR (Infrared) Shooting in Dark Places
The IR Cut Filter can be turned ON/OFF (allocated on the User button). When the filter is turned OFF, commercially available IR lights can be used for shooting in dark places.
4K/UHD/FHD/SD Multi-Format Recording
Versatile and easy-to-use MOV (QuickTime), MP4 and AVCHD file formats are supported. The variety of recording modes with selectable image quality, frame rate and bit rate settings respond to a wide range of applications, from cinema production to online distribution.
Dual SD Memory Card Slots
Two SD card slots are provided. This enables unlimited relay recording by simply changing SD cards, and also allows simultaneous recording and background recording for ensuring high recording reliability.
UHD/FHD Dual Codec Recording
This function records images simultaneously into two different formats, Main and Sub (see the following table). Sub-recording files can be used for preview, off-line editing and online transmission. FHD (8 Mbps) sub-recording files can be transmitted via mobile networks so editing work can be performed before the delivery of the main recording files, thus improving the workflow efficiency.
Other Recording Functions
- Pre Rec: This function constantly caches approximately 4 seconds of video and audio data in MOV/MP4 format, or approximately 3 seconds in AVCHD format, prior to Rec Start, so the data can be recovered in case there is a delay in pressing Rec Start.
- Interval Rec: Records intermittently based on a set interval time of 1 sec, 10 sec, 1 minute or 2 minutes.
- Freeze Frame: Images can be recorded as still images together with audio. This function is convenient when moving the camera to a different location or when shooting a different scene.
- Time Stamp: The date and time can be stamped onto recorded images.
Triple Manual Rings
The HC-X1 features three manual rings for Zoom, Focus and Iris control. These manual controls offer the professional operation.
2-Channel XLR Audio Input Terminal
Equipped with two channels of XLR audio input (with switchable 48-V phantom power supply, MIC and LINE) and manual audio volume. This enables recording of two high-quality audio channels using either the 16-bit linear PCM system (MOV/MP4) or Dolby Digital system (AVCHD). Other professional features include the OSD level meter, 1-kHz test tone output and headphone output (3.5mm-diameter stereo mini-jack).
High-Resolution OLED EVF
The viewfinder features a high-resolution OLED display (approximately 1,769,000 dots) for excellent color reproduction.
Sliding 3.5-type (inch) Touch-Panel LCD
The 3.5-type (inch) LCD monitor built into the handle section can be pulled out and turned 270 degrees in the vertical direction for use in high-angle, low-angle or selfie shots. The touch panel function can be used for menu setting and area functions.
ND Filters, Gain, White Balance
- ND Filters: OFF, 1/4, 1/16, 1/64 ND filters built-in.
- Gain Selector: Negative gain is added. Select from -3 dB to 24 dB gain for three-position (L/M/H) allocation.
- AWB Selector: Two-value (A/B) memory and presets (3200/5600/VAR) can be selected.
- ATW (auto-tracking white balance) function
44 functions can be allocated to the User Buttons. There are a total of 13 User Buttons: Nine on the HC-X1 body, and four on the LCD Touch Panel. The AWB button can also be used as a User Button.
LCD/EVF Displays That Assist Shooting
- Waveform and Vectorscope Display: WAVE (Waveform) and VECTOR (Vectorscope) can be easily displayed on a subscreen of the LCD monitor. The subscreen display position can be set to any of the four corners.
- ZEBRA: Two zebra patterns are built in. The level can be changed from 50 percent to 105 percent in 5 percent steps.
- Marker (Y level): The brightness level in the center of the image is displayed in percentage.
- Level Gauge: Horizontal or vertical tilting of the camcorder can be checked on the LCD and viewfinder.
- A Safety Zone Marker and Center Marker can be displayed.
16-Axis Independent Color Correction Function
This function provides an independent effect to each of the 16 phases of video images. It enables color matching of multiple cameras under the same lighting conditions as well as creative image rendering.
Makes skin colors appear softly and beautifully. Especially effective when recording the person up close.
Adjusts the overall degree of contour enhancement.
The HC-X1 is equipped with eight selectable gamma modes, including two Cine-Like Gammas, drawing on technologies developed for the VariCam.
Six files preset with picture quality settings are provided as Scene Files (Standard, Shooting under fluorescent lights, Spark, STILL-LIKE, CINE-LIKE contrast, and CINE-LIKE dynamic range). You can change any of the settings as desired and store one set as a Customary File in the HC-X1, and up to eight sets on an SD memory card.
Other Professional Picture Quality Settings
- Selectable matrix tables including CINE-LIKE mode
- Y detail, detail coring
- Chrome level, chrome phase, color temperature, master pedestal
- Knee Point Setting
Wireless Remote Control from an iPad
The AG ROP for iPad is available free of charge from the Apple App Store. It enables wireless remote control of the HC-X1, with installation of a wireless module (optional AJ-WM50/AJ-WM30).
In addition to a multitude of control functions, such as camera settings, picture quality adjustment, REC start/stop and menu setting, the AG ROP allows control of the HC-X1's internal lens for remote operation of the Intelligent Zoom, zoom and focus.
It also displays a thumbnail view and preview, so recorded clips can be checked on an iPad.
HDMI Output and Video/Audio Output
- HDMI OUT: Outputs images up to 4K 24p and UHD 60p/50p.
- VIDEO/AUDIO OUT: Outputs analog signals for video and audio monitoring.
Equipped with a REMOTE terminal for remote operation of iris, focus, zoom and REC start/stop.
Large-Capacity Battery Options
The HC-X1 is compatible with the new, large-capacity AG-VBR118G, AG-VBR89G and AG-VBR59 battery packs. Using the enclosed AGBRD50 battery charger, these batteries can be quick-charged in about half the conventional time.
- Battery Type: Lithium Ion
- Color: Black
- Display: LCD
- Display Resolution Maximum: 1,152,000
- Included Components: Camcorder, battery, charger, AC cable, AC adaptor
- Item Dimensions: 7.68 x 6.81 x 13.6 inches
- Item Weight: 4.41 pounds
- Lithium Battery Energy Content: 9,700 Watt Hours
- Optical Sensor Technology: CMOS
- Optical Zoom: 20x
- Shipping Weight: 5 pounds
- Supported Battery Types: Panasonic VW-VBD58