The PCM-D50 is a 96 kHz/24-bit recorder fitted with two-position (X-Y or Wide) stereo microphones, 4 GB of internal flash memory and a Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo slot (for additional storage). The body of the D50 is constructed of lightweight metal (aluminum) and it's built rugged to withstand the demands of pro applications, plus it offers long battery life using conventional AA alkaline batteries. The recorder includes a USB high-speed port for simple uploading/downloading its native .WAV format files to/from Windows PC or Macintosh computers. Other unique PCM-D50 features include digital pitch control, dual digital limiter (inherited from the PCM-D1), low-cut filter, Super Bit Mapping, A-B repeat and MP3 playback capability. To complement the D50 recorder, new optional accessories include a remote commander, tripod stand, and microphone windscreen. Additionally, the D50 offers compadible mounting and use with the recently introduced XLR-1 wide-bandwidth balanced XLR microphone adapter.
- Built-in Electret Condenser Microphones
The PCM-D50's electret condenser microphones have exceptional high sound quality and offer a selection of 2 operating positions, X-Y and Wide Stereo. X-Y covers a wide sound range with good depth, perspective and a natural sounding stereo image; or alternatively, a wde stereo position offering a wider spread stereo image.
- Superior Audio Signal Path
The PCM-D50 is designed with four separate circuit boards to separate analog audio, digital audio, digital recording and power supply circuits. Separate circuit boards for each function helps minimize noise.
- Simple Uploading to Computer
The PCM-D50 conforms to the USB 2.0 Mass Storage Class Device standard and this recorder's native recording file format is .WAV. This means recordings can be rapidly uploaded to a computer and used in conjunction with most common audio production software.
- Versatile Recording Functions
The PCM-D50 offers comprehensive signal processing features for location recording including a unique dual digital limiter function (inherited from the PCM-D1 recorder), a high pass filter with selectable frequencies (150 Hz or 75 Hz) and SBM (Super Bit Mapping) noise shaping. In addition, the PCM-D50 includes a 5 second pre record buffer with an A-B repeat playback function.
- Built-in Microphones: Electret Condenser microphones. High sensitivity -35.0 dB/Pa 1kHz (typical); Maximum input level 120 dB SPL; Self noise level 20.0 dB SPL (A)
- Recording Media: Built-in flash memory 4 GB, Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo (Not Supplied), Stereo Recording. The PCM-D50 is compatible with Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo MS-EX4G (4GB), MS-EX2G (2GB) , MS-EX1G (1GB) and Memory Stick Pro Duo (High Speed) MSX-M2GNU (2GB), MSXM1GNU (1GB)
- Sample Rates: 22.05 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz and 96 kHz
- Quantization:16-bit linear, 24-bit linear
- Recording File Format: Linear PCM Stereo .WAV
- MP3 Playback: Compatible bit rates and sampling frequencies; MPEG Version 1 Layer 3: 32, 44.1, 48kHz with 32 to 320 kbps (VBR). MPEG Version 2 Layer 3: 16, 22.05, 24 kHz with 32 to 160 kbps (VBR)
- Maximum Record Time using Internal 4 GB Flash Memory: 22 kHz 16-bit Recording Mode: 12 hours and 55 minutes; 44.1 kHz 16-bit Recording Mode: 6 hours and 25 minutes; 44.1 kHz 24-bit
- Recording Mode: 4 hours and 15 minutes; 48 kHz 16-bit Recording Mode: 5 hours and 55 minutes; 48 kHz 24-bit Recording Mode: 3 hours and 55 minutes; 96 kHz 16-bit Recording Mode: 2 hours and 55 minutes; 96 kHz 24-bit Recording Mode: 1 hour and 55 minutes.
- Frequency Response (Line Input to Line Output): For Fs = 22.05 kHz: Frequency Response = 20 Hz to 10 kHz; For Fs = 44.1 kHz: Frequency Response = 20 Hz to 20 kHz; For Fs = 48 kHz: Frequency Response = 20 Hz to 22 kHz; For Fs = 96 kHz: Frequency Response = 20 to 40 kHz
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio (Line Input to Line Output): 93 dB or greater (1 kHz IHF-A) when set to 24-bit
- Total Harmonic Distortion (Line Input to Line Output): 0.01 percent or below (1 kHz, 22 kHz LPF)
- Wow and Flutter: Below measureable limit (less than +/-0.001 percent W. Peak)
- Microphone Input (stereo mini jack): Input impedance: 22k, rated input level: 2.5mV, minimum input level:0.7mV. Supports external mic plug-in power.
- Headphone output (stereo mini jack): Input impedance: 22k, rated input level: 2.5mV, minimum input level:0.7mV. Supports external mic plug-in power.
- Headphone output (stereo mini jack): Rated output level: 400 mV, maximum output level: 25 mW +25 mW or more, load impedance: 16 ohms.
- Line Input (OPT): Analog input - Input impedance: 40k ohms, rated input level: 2.0V, minimum input level: 450 mV. Optical Digiital Input - Input level: -24.5 dBm to -14.5 dBm, Absorption wavelength: 630 nm to 690 nm
- Line Output (OPT): Analog output - Output impedance: 220 ohms, rated output level: 1.7V, load impedance : 22k ohms. Digital optical output - Output level -21 dBm to -15 dBm, Emission wavelength: 630 nm to 690 nm
- USB: Hi-speed USB, mass storage class
- Power Requirements: DC IN 6V, Four AA (LR6) alkaline batteries (supplied), Four nickel metal hydride rechargeable batteries NH-AA (not supplied)
- Power Consumption: 0.75W
- Dimensions: 2 7/8 inch x 6 1/8 inch x 1 5/16 inch (w x h x d) not including projecting parts and controls
- Mass: 12.88 oz (including batteries)