A great choice for smaller rooms or apartments, the stylishly black 20-inch Toshiba 20HL86 Theaterwide LCD television provides vividly colorful images from standard and high-definition television programming as well as DVD movies. Boosting the screen's contrast and speaker power from previous models, the 20HL86 also offers a 720p (progressive) true HD display with a 1366 x 768-pixel resolution, and it's capable of displaying HDTV with an optional high-definition receiver or cable/satellite set-top box. Plus, you'll get pure digital audio/video performance via the HDMI input when connected to a compatible source. A standard analog NTSC tuner receives standard-definition programming. It comes with a removable table stand, and this set can be wall-mounted with an optional kit.
You can use the 20HL86 as a computer monitor with its VGA 15-Pin D-sub input. In addition to its HD component-video input, the 20HL86 has a HDMI input terminal for direct digital connection with an HD set-top box. This LCD TV has a 500 cd/m2 (candela per square meter) brightness rating and 600:1 contrast ratio. (The higher the contrast ratio, the greater a TV's ability to display subtle color details and not get washed out by ambient room light.)
The 20HL86 performs 3:2 pulldown detection and reversal, too--a handy feature for watching progressive-scan movie programs in their native 24-frame format. To adapt 24 frames-per-second movies to 30 fps video, frames in the original movie must be duplicated; 3:2 pulldown digitally corrects this duplication by removing the redundant information to display a frame-accurate picture. A 3D Y/C comb filter (4 MB, 10-bit with Vertical Contour Correction) further enhances resolution by removing blurred edges between colors and reducing dot crawl (tiny, moving dots of color along a sharp color separation in a vertical line, as in a depiction of a character's striped T-shirt). The HD Dynamic Contrast feature increases contrast and color saturation to create deep, rich images. The intelligent circuitry analyzes both the dark and bright areas of the picture, and separately optimizes the dynamic range in each area of the picture.
Convenience features include color temperature control, closed captioning on mute, sleep timer, tri-lingual on-screen display, V-Chip parental controls, video input labelling, channel labeling, and Toshiba's GameTimer feature, which allows parents to set the television to shut off after a specified period of time and stay off until a lockout key code is entered.
The speakers provide a total of 10 watts of power (5 watts per channel). The SRS WOW virtual surround sound system provides amazing, enveloping sound through just the two built-in speakers. It also provides MTS stereo/SAP with dbx. The StableSound feature eliminates the annoyance of normal program volume being followed immediately by extremely loud commercial messages or drastic volume fluctuations while changing channels.
- 16:9 aspect ratio Widescreen TV
- Pixel resolution: 1366 x 768
- 8ms or less fast response time
- Brightness: 450 cd/m2
- Contrast ratio: 600:1
- Built-in bottom speakers
- 3D Digital Comb Filter
- Movie & Sports Mode
- Universal Remote TV/DVD control
- TheaterWide Modes (5 - Standard, Full, TW1, TW2, TW3)
- CableClear DNR+ (by Input)
- MTS Stereo / SAP with dbx
- Surround Sound
- Audio Wattage (Total): 2W
- A/V inputs: 1 HDMI digital a/v input, 1 component video, 1 S-video, 2 composite video
- PC input
- RF input
- Headphone Jack
- Direct Video Input Selection
- V-Chip Parental Control System
- Sleep Timer / On Timer
- Tri-Lingual On-screen Display (English, French, and Spanish)
- Channel Return, Favorite Channel, Channel Labeling, Video Labeling, Channel Lock. Video Lock
- Removable stand for Wall mounting (bracket optional)
- Dimensions: 21.12" (W) x 13.83" (H) x 3.40" (D) w/o stand / 21.12" (W) x 15.09" (H) x 8.08" (D) w/ stand
- Weight: 14.99 lbs. w/o stand / 17.2 lbs. with stand
- Manufacturer's Warranty: One year parts and labor