Powerful Zoom. Epic Close-ups.
Unleash the power of high zoom, high performance and Canon's advanced technology. The PowerShot SX540 HS is a versatile and easy-to-use camera for virtually anyone who wants to capture their favorite subjects, from family get-togethers to amazing safaris, to school plays and the beautiful moments of life in between. Whether you're capturing something up close or in the distance, you'll be able to get the shot you want with its incredible 50x (24-1200mm) zoom power. Both still images and high-quality 1080p Full HD video are bound to impress even in low-light situations thanks to a 20.3 Megapixel* High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor and the powerful DIGIC 6 Image Processor, which together create the Canon HS System. What's more, Canon's sophisticated wireless connectivity means you can share your favorite images and videos with whomever you like, as well as easily transfer them to other compatible devices. Improved Zoom Framing Assist makes capturing those faraway moments even easier with the "Lock" feature, which helps ensure your subject is sharp and in the center of the frame. Working together with Face ID, the PowerShot SX540 HS's Auto Zoom has also been improved for better framing of your family and friends. Near or far, the amazing zoom and high power of the PowerShot SX540 HS is on hand to help capture the pictures you want.
* Image processing may cause a decrease in the number of pixels.
- Powerful 50x Optical Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer for outstanding optical performance
- 20.3 Megapixel CMOS sensor with DIGIC 6 Image Processor helps deliver stunning image quality even in low light
- Built-in Wi-Fi and NFC allows for easy sharing and transferring of images and videos
- Capture spectacular 1080p Full HD video at 60p with stereo sound
- Zoom Framing Assist now features a lock button option for quick and accurate subject recognition
- Large 3.0-inch LCD (approx. 461,000 dots) allows easy viewing even from a wide angle
- Hybrid Auto lets you record up to four seconds of video before each image you capture, then automatically combines each clip and still into a quick video recap of the day
- Story Highlights enables the camera to automatically compile images and videos from a certain day or event into a mini highlight reel with music and effects
50x Optical Zoom (24-1200mm)
Once you experience the reach and versatility of this camera's astonishing 50x Optical Zoom, you'll wonder how you ever did without it. From sporting events to travel highlights, wildlife to landscapes, the powerful zoom lets you capture the details that make your photography stand out. Not only will you have the ability to move in to the shot you want, but you'll also be able to capture those shots with incredible Canon quality. The camera's secure ergonomic grip makes steady handheld shooting easy and comfortable, while Intelligent IS analyzes the shooting situation and applies advanced stabilization technology to help keep images clear and virtually shake-free in a wide variety of conditions.
Intelligent IS analyzes camera movement and applies a suitable shake correction method for the shooting situation. For stills, the system selects from Normal IS, Panning IS, Macro (Hybrid) IS and Tripod modes. When shooting video, the system selects from Dynamic IS, Powered IS, Macro (Hybrid) IS and Active Tripod IS modes. With Intelligent IS, you can concentrate on image capture, letting the camera make effective IS settings to help capture a steady image.
Still Image Shooting
- Normal IS: Corrects for a wide range of camera movement when shooting stills.
- Panning IS: Panning motion is detected so that IS does not interfere with desired camera movement.
- Macro (Hybrid) IS: Corrects for shift-type camera shake, which typically occurs in macro (close-up) shooting.
- Tripod: When tripod use is detected, the Image Stabilizer is stopped because it is not needed.
- Dynamic IS: Effective for video shooting at wide-angle focal lengths, eliminating the unwanted shaking that typically occurs while walking.
- Powered IS: Compensates for hand movement when shooting video at the telephoto end of the zoom range, where camera shake is magnified.
- Macro (Hybrid) IS: Corrects for motion blur that is likely to occur when shooting video while walking. Also compensates for the shift-type camera shake common in macro shooting.
- Active Tripod IS: When shooting video while using a tripod, the Image Stabilizer is active to compensate for slight camera shake.
20.3 Megapixel* High-Sensitivity CMOS Sensor
The PowerShot SX540 HS camera employs a 20.3 Megapixel* High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor, which delivers powerful imaging performance and is optimized for use in compact cameras. Utilizing a sophisticated light-capturing design, it provides high sensitivity for high ISO capture with reduced noise. It's also incredibly fast, capable of rapidly capturing and moving image data to the processor, as well as enabling fast continuous shooting and fast autofocus.
* Image processing may cause a decrease in the number of pixels.
DIGIC 6 Image Processor
The PowerShot SX540 HS camera is equipped with the DIGIC 6 Image Processor, which helps boost image quality in both stills and video. Improved light sensitivity allows for higher resolution with less noise when shooting in dark conditions, and Dynamic IS detects and compensates for tilt and parallel movement (shift blur) to help create video that's virtually free of distortion. The processor also enhances the performance capabilities of the PowerShot SX540 HS camera, enabling high-speed, high-quality continuous still image shooting at up to 6.0 frames per second. And video recording is impressive as ever, as the DIGIC 6 Image Processor enables Full HD at 60p, as well as MP4 recording. Highly compressed MP4 video not only preserves space on your memory card but also improves playback on compatible mobile devices. Plus, with MF Peaking possible thanks to the DIGIC 6 Image Processor, you'll have a pro-level focusing tool at your disposal.
Built-in Wi-Fi Technology Makes Sharing Quick and Easy
Built-in Wi-Fi technology allows for on-the-go convenience when you want to share your photos and videos with friends and family. Easily post your images to social networking and media sites - Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Flickr, and Google Drive - through CANON iMAGE GATEWAY* directly from your PowerShot SX540 HS camera, or save them to the online photo album to share anytime, anywhere. The camera can also connect directly to both compatible iOS** and Android devices***, and upload images via the free Canon Camera Connect app** without a computer. You can control the destination of your uploads to share with everyone or to select groups, and even add comments. Sharing video is also easy with Wi-Fi equipped PowerShot cameras, which record video using the easy-to-share MP4 format. Wi-Fi capability makes posting in real time possible, so you can keep everyone up to date with photos and video even as events unfold. Wi-Fi technology also allows you to transfer images to other Wi-Fi equipped PowerShot cameras or print your photos directly to a PictBridge (Wireless LAN) certified printer. Thanks to the Wi-Fi Button, you can connect in both Shooting mode and Playback mode for quick and easy operation. You can even turn on the camera and connect at the same time with just one press of the button, helping you get right to sharing and managing your files when you like.
Built-in NFC (Near Field Communication) Technology
PowerShot digital cameras with built-in NFC (Near Field Communication) technology provide fast connectivity with a single tap. Simply touch the NFC icon on your camera to your compatible Android device***, and the Camera Connect app will launch automatically for quick, easy sharing of your images. Built-in NFC technology also makes it simpler to install the app. If the app hasn't been installed yet, once you touch the devices together for the first time, the download screen will display automatically. Simply touch the camera against an NFC-equipped device with the Canon Camera Connect app** installed, and a Wi-Fi connection is established - no camera operations required. Even if your camera is off, NFC turns the camera on and establishes the connection (confirming the camera's nickname and privacy settings before the first connection is required).
Image Sync Function
In addition to wirelessly transferring photos and videos through CANON iMAGE GATEWAY* to your computer, you can now view and download them from your compatible smartphone.**** Take them where you like, when you like, and use your familiar smartphone operations to view and share them.
Remote Shooting with the Camera Connect App
With the built-in Wi-Fi on the PowerShot SX540 HS camera, you can use your compatible smartphone or tablet** to remotely control the camera. Simply connect wirelessly to your device and access the free Canon Camera Connect app**. Your device will show a live image of the camera's capture - ideal for a commemorative group photo, wildlife shots and all kinds of situations. The camera's versatile 50x Optical Zoom, flash, self-timer and shutter are all under your control, with images being saved to your camera as usual.
* One-time registration is required on CANON iMAGE GATEWAY online photo album.
** Compatible with iOS versions 7.1/8.4/9.0, Android smartphone and tablet versions 4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4/5.0/5.1. Data charges may apply with the download of the free Canon Camera Connect app. This app helps enable you to upload images to social media services. Please note that image files may contain personally identifiable information that may implicate privacy laws. Canon disclaims and has no responsibility for your use of such images. Canon does not obtain, collect or use such images or any information included in such images through this app.
*** Compatible with Android smartphone and tablet versions 4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4/5.0/5.1.
**** With the download of the free Canon Online Photo Album app. The images and videos utilizing Image Sync can be viewed and downloaded with your smartphone or tablet within 30 days.
1080p Full HD Video at 60p with Stereo Sound
The PowerShot SX540 HS camera is designed to make beautiful, creative video capture easy and fun. Image quality is luminous and lifelike in 1080p Full HD, with selectable frame rates of 60p and 30p to match the situation and end use. MP4 format, ideal for sharing and mobile devices, is also available. Dynamic IS offers 5-axis image stabilization that corrects even the strong camera shake that happens when you shoot while running or walking backward.
Zoom Framing Assist
With its 50x Optical Zoom lens, the PowerShot SX540 HS camera has the telephoto reach to capture subjects a long distance away. At maximum telephoto, however, it can be challenging to track a moving subject. The Zoom Framing Assist seek function makes it much easier to use the camera's powerful zoom lens. When you press and hold the Zoom Framing Assist button, the camera will automatically zoom out to include a wider angle of view, enabling you to more easily locate your moving subject. Once you find it, releasing the button will cause the lens to return to its original zoom position, intelligently keeping the subject in focus until you're ready to shoot and capture the perfect close-up moment. You can even make zoom adjustments while the button is pressed, with an animated assist frame that makes viewing easy. When the button is released, the lens will return to the adjusted zoom position. And with the Zoom Framing Assist Lock, the camera will use image stabilization techniques to lock onto and automatically track a subject, keeping them in the center of the frame until you're ready to capture the ideal close-up shot. Zoom Framing Assist can now be turned on and off with the simple press of a button, allowing for easy and automatic subject selection.
Zoom Framing Assist offers a seek assist function that detects when you're panning (for instance, to search for the location of a soccer ball) and automatically zooms out to help; stop panning, and the zoom returns to its original position. Zoom Framing Assist keeps your subject's face the same size in your frame no matter how they move. Tap the Zoom Framing Assist function button to detect your subject's face. As your subject retreats and advances the camera automatically zooms in and out so their face remains the same size. It's especially useful for capturing the expressions of fast-moving children. The feature has been further enhanced by letting you choose the subject's size: choices include face, upper body, whole body, manual or off for superior assistance and control. And, for even more convenience, all Zoom Framing Assist functions are also available when shooting video.
Large 3.0-inch LCD
The large, 3.0-inch high-resolution LCD screen makes it easy to both frame and review your shots. A resolution of approximately 461,000 dots helps make even small details clear, and images are viewable even from a wide angle, so showing others what you've captured is easy, too.
Hybrid Auto records up to four seconds of video every time you shoot a still image, then automatically joins the clips and pictures* into a video that captures the essence of special days: vacations, important occasions or any time you're shooting many shots in a day. In this mode, Hybrid Auto automatically recognizes the scene and optimizes camera settings for incredibly high image quality. The resulting 1080p HD video is properly exposed, crisp and steady, so your "highlight reel" is stunningly beautiful.
* Pictures can be withheld from the resulting video via menu settings.
View your still images and video* as a fun short story with the Story Highlights feature on the PowerShot SX540 HS camera. Improved for convenience, you can choose to have the camera create this reel automatically by using advanced algorithms to classify your images according to date, event or people, then compiling a short video of approximately three minutes** with suitable background music and color effects applied. You can also customize your Story Highlights reel for a fun, unique video. Story Highlights BGM lets you add background music (choose from three pre-loaded songs) to the clips that Story Highlights automatically generates, for a new level of emotive expression. It's all done in camera, without the need for any additional software. Easily access and enjoy your Story Highlights - simply press the Story Highlights button to start creating your highlight album. The Story Highlights album can be saved to the camera's memory card for quick replay and also shared with the PowerShot SX540 HS camera's built-in Wi-Fi technology.
* Videos must be shot in Hybrid Auto or Short Clip.
** Length of highlight video varies according to the photos and videos added to the Story Highlights album.
Type of Camera
- Type: Compact digital still camera with built-in flash, 50x Optical, 4x Digital and 200x Combined Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer
Image Capture Device
- Type: 20.3 Megapixel*, 1/2.3-inch CMOS
- Total Pixels: Approx. 21.1 Megapixels
- Effective Pixels: Approx. 20.3 Megapixels*
*Image processing may cause a decrease in the number of pixels.
- Focal Length: 4.3 (W) ? 215.0 (T) mm (35mm film equivalent: 24?1200mm)
- Optical Zoom: 50x
- Digital Zoom: 4x
- Focusing Range Normal: 2.0 in. (5.0cm) ? infinity (W), 4.3 ft. (1.3m) ? infinity (T)
- Focusing Range Auto/Manual: 0.0 in. (0.0cm) ? infinity (W), 4.3 ft. (1.3m) ? infinity (T)
- Focusing Range Macro: 0.0 in. ? 1.6 ft. (0.0?50cm) (W)
- Autofocus System: TTL Autofocus, Manual Focus
Viewfinder & Monitor
- Viewfinder: Not available
- LCD Monitor: 3.0-inch TFT Color LCD with wide viewing angle (4:3)
- LCD Pixels: Approx. 461,000 dots
- LCD Coverage: Approx. 100%
Aperture & Shutter
- Maximum Aperture: f/3.4 (W), f/6.5 (T)
- Shutter Speed: 1?1/2000 sec., 15?1/2000 sec. (in Tv and M modes)
- ISO Sensitivity: Auto, ISO 80?3200
- Light Metering Method: Evaluative, Center Weighted Average, Spot
- Exposure Control Method: Manual Exposure, Program Shift, Safety Shift, AE Lock
- Exposure Compensation Still Images: +/-2 stops in 1/3-stop increments
- Exposure Compensation Videos: +/-2 stops in 1/3-stop increments (not available during shooting)
- White Balance Control: Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Custom
- Built-in Flash: Auto, On, Slow Synchro, Off
- Flash Range: 1.6?18.0 ft. (W), 4.3?9.8 ft. (T), 50.0cm ? 5.5m (W), 1.3?3.0m (T)
- Flash Exposure Compensation: +/-2 stops in 1/3-stop increments
- Shooting Modes: M, Av, Tv, P, Live View Control, Hybrid Auto, Auto, Creative Shot, Sports, Portrait, Smart Shutter, Handheld Night Scene, Low Light, Fish-eye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Soft Focus, Monochrome, Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Fireworks, Standard (Movie), Short Clip (Movie), iFrame Movie
- My Color: My Colors Off, Vivid, Neutral, Sepia, Black & White, Positive Film, Lighter Skin Tone, Darker Skin Tone, Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, Vivid Red, Custom Color
- Self Timer: Off / 2 sec. / 10 sec. / Custom
- Wireless Control: Built-in Wi-Fi and NFC
- Normal Continuous Shooting in Auto/P modes: Approx. 5.9 shots/sec.
- Continuous Shooting AF in P mode: Approx. 4.4 shots/sec.
- Continuous Shooting LV in P mode: Approx. 4.5 shots/sec.
- Storage Media: SD/SDHC/SDXC and UHS-I Memory Cards
- File Format: Design rule for Camera File system (DCF) compliant; DPOF (Version 1.1) compatible
- Image Compression: Superfine / Fine
- JPEG Compression Mode Still Image: Exif. 2.3 (JPEG)
- JPEG Compression Mode Video: MP4 (Image: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264; Audio: MPEG-4 AAC-LC (Stereo))
- Number of Recording Pixels Still Image:
- 16:9: Large: 5184 x 2912; Medium 1: 3648 x 2048; Medium 2: 1920 x 1080; Small: 640 x 360
- 3:2: Large: 5184 x 3456; Medium 1: 3648 x 2432; Medium 2: 2048 x 1368; Small: 640 x 424
- 4:3: Large: 5184 x 3888; Medium 1: 3648 x 2736; Medium 2: 2048 x 1536; Medium: 2592 x 1944; Small: 640 x 480
- 1:1: Large: 3888 x 3888; Medium 1: 2736 x 2736; Medium 2: 1536 x 1536; Small: 480 x 480
- Number of Recording Pixels Videos:
- Full HD: 1920 x 1280: 59.94 fps / 29.97 fps
- HD: 1280 x 720: 29.97 fps
- 640 x 480: 29.97 fps
- Playback Modes File: List/Play Digest Movies, Protect, Favorites, Erase, Slideshow, Rotate, Album Playback, Play Creative Shot Movies, Short Clip Mix, i-Contrast, Resize, Cropping, Red-Eye Correction, My Colors, Face ID Info, Photobook Set-up, Image Transition Effect, Index Effect, Scroll Display, Group Images, Auto Rotate, Resume, Image jump with Control Ring /Front Dial
- Video Out: NTSC/PAL
- Audio Out: Stereo
- Other: Hi-Speed USB (Mini-B), HDMI (Type C); direct connection to Canon SELPHY, PIXMA Photo Printers & PictBridge compatible printers
- Power Source: Battery Pack NB-6LH
- Shooting Capacity: Approx. 205 shots; Approx. 290 shots in ECO Mode; Video Recording Time: Approx. 45 min.
- Playback Time: Approx. 5 hr.
- Operating Temperature: 32-104 degrees F/0?40 degrees C
- Operating Humidity: 10?90%
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 4.72 x 3.22 x 3.62 in. / 120.0 x 81.7 x 91.9mm
- Weight: 15.6 oz. / 442g (CIPA standard); 14.7 oz. / 418g (Body only)