The newest vlogging camera from Sony has arrived. Earlier this month Sony released their latest model to the popular ZV series vlogging cameras for vloggers. The new Sony VZ-1F vlogging camera. This new vlogging camera brings the latest optical technology for optimal performance and combines it with easy-to-use features, innovative connectivity, and built in a compact pocket size so vloggers can be ready for anything, at any moment, whether at home or on the go.
Sony’s ZV 1 has been one of the most popular vlogging cameras since its release in 2020. From this popularity, Sony decided to create a more affordable model that is perfect for newer content creators with the ZV-1f’s simplicity of operation and power to produce professional quality material. Let’s jump right in.
Highlighted Specs & Features
- Ultra-wide 20mm F2.0 prime lens – One of the first things you may notice about the ZV 1F vs ZV 1 is the 20mm prime lens on the ZV-F1 vs the 24-70mm f/1.8-2.8 lens which is on the ZV1. One of the main complaints about the ZV1 is that the frame can feel cramped when shooting in handheld which is often the case when vlogging on the go. The prime Ultra-Wide-angle lens on the ZV-1F is meant to be constant so you can spontaneously begin shooting wide framed, vivid, and beautiful shots at a moment’s notice.
- 4K Video recording with up to 90-minute video recording limit during continuous shooting and 20.1 MP for still photographs with up to 270 min of battery life when Auto Monitor off is set to 2 seconds. The ZV-1F can also be powered and charged via USB which is nice if you’re in a pinch.
- Bokeh – Achieve Bokeh shooting whether you’re shooting photographs or videos. The ZV1F has a large 1-inch sensor which is perfect for true bokeh images. With a added bokeh switch, you can quickly toggle into a bokeh background mode which is amazing for product reviews and many other types of vlogging content.
- Fits in your pocket – The ZV-1F is extremely compact weighing only 8.1 ounces (or 229 grams). The ZV-1F is vlogging simplified and easy. Between the prime lens and compact lightweight body, made from sustainable materials, this camera is always ready for action. This is one of the main reasons the ZV-1F is a far better choice for fast paced vloggers who typically shoot on the fly, especially when comparing the ZV 1F vs ZV e10 with 16-50mm lens kit which is heavier, bigger, and adds a lot to the dimensions and weight of the camera.
- Face Priority AE or Auto Exposure – This new feature is fantastic as it will automatically adjust the brightness from facial analysis. If you’re in a lighting situation with a lot of changes, this feature will always ensure you look your best with proper exposure to highlight your face for natural color and maintain a constant appearance for your video.
- Soft Skin Effect Feature – To layer onto the Face Priority AE, the ZV-1F has this powerful feature which adds skin smoothing, perfect for those days when you need a little extra to keep your skin looking vibrant and fresh.
- High Precision focusing and Eye AF – The auto focus feature on the ZV-1F is amazing. It will follow your eyes and face and continuously ensure you are in focus even if you’re walking or moving around on screen. This feature is touchscreen sensitive so you can quickly swap between subjects and works on animals and wildlife too.
- Directional 3-Capsule Mic and wind screen – Whether you’re shooting indoors or outdoors, the built-in 3 directional mic records crystal clear audio. Designed specifically for spontaneous vlogging shoots and recording, the ZV-1F keeps you in the ready. To prevent wind disturbance in your audio, there is also a detachable mic screen that takes about a second to add or remove. For additional audio recording methods, there is also an accessory shoe option which allows you to easily attach an external microphone if desired.
- Active Mode Image Stabilization – Every vlogger needs a powerful image stabilization in their camera. Active Mode Image Stabilization keeps your frame from getting the “shakes” whether you’re walking, running, cycling, skateboarding, kayaking, or any type of activity that is difficult to shoot steadily.
- S&Q mode – Gives more power to the creator allowing for slow motion recording at up to 5x slower speeds as well as a quick motion mode to shoot up to 60 times faster, otherwise known as hyper lapse.
- Vari-Angle LCD touchscreen – Regardless of the angle you’re shooting, the vari-angle LCD screen will display your frame without having to strain your neck. You can also adjust or change features and settings, including zoom, right from the touchscreen.
- Vertical Shooting – Along with the ultra-wide-angle lens, the ZV-1F allows you to shoot in vertical, which is crucial for social media content creators with an audience viewing from their smartphones. Vertical videos are tagged by the cameras OS allowing for easy transferring to your smartphone.
- Background Defocus – Helps the creator create. Blur your background for an artistic way to highlight your subject whether you’re photographing stills or even while shooting video. This is excellent for Bokeh shots.
- Product Showcase – This new feature allows you to shift the ZV-1F’s focus between faces and products. A sure win for product review vloggers.
- Self-Timer, Recording Lamp, and red frame on screen indicators to clearly display that your recording is live from any angle you may be positioned around the camera.
- The ZV-1F comes with 10 preset creative look options so your favorite go to mode is easily accessible.
- Shooting Grip / Tripod – Sony’s ZV-1F is compatible with the GP-VPT2BT with Bluetooth grip. This serves as a shooting grip, or a tripod with additional control buttons for convenient access to the most important camera functions.
- Shot Mark – This is possibly one of the best features for vloggers. Shot Mark enables you to quickly identify key clips or cut and transfer specific 15, 30, or 60 second marked clips right to your smartphone so you can upload your content quickly and without editing. This makes searching through your recorded material quick and efficiently, so you’re never sidelined from the scene.
- Live streaming – The ZV-1F can be used as a High-Quality live streaming device or web camera. It is for video streaming or conference application software use when connected via USB to a computer or smartphone.
Sony’s ZV-1F is a pleasant surprise. There is so much this little camera can do that even the most seasoned vloggers will find good use and practice with this tool. No need to lug around a ton of gear on your vlogging adventures, the ZV-1F brings your power and portability so you can be ready to capture your creation in any situation. There are countless modes to choose from so your vision can be perfect. No need to waste time messing with settings and adjusting every slightest nuance because the camera does it all from focusing to lighting exposure. With a price starting at $500, this is the perfect camera to add to your arsenal of vlogging tools and an excellent choice if you’re just starting out as a content creator.